Safe paint for inside the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I have a XP2 canister filter with its annoying blue intake pipe. I would very much like the paint this tube black. Is there a paint that is safe to do this with? I don't want to take any chances, so I need something that we're 100% sure is ok to use.

Thanks!
David

Search these forums. Someone just replace the pipes, I think with Eheim pipes. It's probably better than painting the pipes.

Krylon Fusion Paint (or the equivalent) is fine for use inside the tank. All of the Eheim green in my tanks is painted black to blend with the background.

An easier alternative to make them black is using electrical tape. Wash the finished product off well in case there are additives on top of the tape.

tropicalfish said:
An easier alternative to make them black is using electrical tape. Wash the finished product off well in case there are additives on top of the tape.

For some reason I doubt that'd work. The chemical in the sticky part will likely hurt the fish.

Hmm, I used it in my 10 gallon hexagon tank.......
Fish are still alive, water is fine... Maybe the type of tape you use.

I don't know if this applys to the "plastic" paints or not, but at work when they paint the inside of a water tower they use an epoxy paint. Before they can fill it with (drinking) water, they have to wait many days for the paint to cure. I have been told that gasses escape during this process that would otherwise make their way into the water. Time and temperature seem to be a factor in this process too. The longer you wait and the warmer it is, the more complete the curing process and the less chemicals in the water.

Sparky is right...the epoxy paint it the best option for inside a tank. You have to allow it to cure because gasses do escape as it is curing. I don't think I would be putting tape inside my tank especially because of the glue that is on it! The epoxy paint is expensive!

FWIW, put a plant infront of the pipe to hide it.

Ziggy953 said:
FWIW, put a plant infront of the pipe to hide it.

but OMG Ziggy... its both blue AND annoying!! :lol:

really the only other option here is to look into a similar sized intake tube from another vendor and cob together a fitting. didnt someone say that Eheim parts are close in size to these?

Back
Top Bottom