Safe Paint for sealing plywood tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So browsing the Rona website I came across this:

RustOleum.com

It says it is an epoxy paint however I haven't been able to find any more info on it. What I am wondering is would this paint be suitable to seal plywood to make it leakproof. It is a fairly cheap paint at $20 a quart when comparing to the 2 part epoxy paints that most people have to use for plywood tanks, so I was wondering if this would be suitable to use? All I am going to be building is a sump, and I had planned to do it out of acrylic, however this might allow it to be cheaper.

Any thoughts? I am going to keep reading on it to see if it is safe and strong enough!

I would recommend using a rubber-maid tub for your sump. You won't have to build anything, worry about any leak, and it's easy to cut holes in it for plumbing. Plus you will only spend about 10 bucks on it!

The fact that the can says "Indoor Use" is a red flag to me. I don't think it will stand up to constant submersion.

I'll second the recommendation for the rubbermaid tub. Get the clear plastic tub. It's stiffer than the opaque plastic.

you can build the plywood tank, and line it with that plastic material you see at home depot that they use to cover bathroom walls, and just caulk the edges.
i know someone who built a tank that way. he added a viewing pane, but you don't need that for a sump.

thanks for all the replies! I like the idea of doing a plywood sump just because it looks pollished if done properly, easy to work with, and nice and square so I can put in some baffles to make it work like a fuge too.
Mr. X, what is the plastic you are talking about?? That sounds like a really good idea as long as it would stand up to constant salt water

Just please remember to make sure you cover your plywood inside and out i think that rustoleum spray will be good for the outside you don't want the plywood warping and twisting from the occasional spill!

Back
Top Bottom