Safe Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RatGurlTay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I went to the mountains and picked up a few cool rocks for the fishies, but im not sure if they are safe for them, I have done the vinegar test and there was no bubbles but there was a fizzing noise, does that mean there not safe? I've also heard that the vinegar test just proves whether or not it will change the ph levels, but wont assure the rock is safe. Is there any way I can know for sure? I want to build a cave with them but I don't want to risk it. Please help.

Hm. I would recommend putting the rocks in some boiling water, and I suppose I don't see any reason for them to not be safe. Do that, and go ahead and maybe put them in without some of your most prized fish at first. I would boil the rocks, and very closely watch water parameters. But someone feel free to please correct me if anyone knows anything else.

This is a question not a suggestion: could you boil the Rock and add it to a bowl of water for a few days. Add water from you tank to the bowl and do tests on the water an record, then add the rock and wait a few days and then test the water again to see if anything changed? Anyone? Thought?

Patience is what I follow. New rock is fizz tested. Then is soaked in near boiling hot water. Then is soaked in tap water changed a few times a week. Then it is soaked I water treated with lots of Prime. Then it is soaked in my tank water from my water changes that is changed every week. Then back into clean/prime water that is tested when added and then a few days later for water change ph/ammonia. Last time I did this was about a month and a half of prep.

be careful with the boiling...any internal air pockets could cause an explosion...

the fizz will only tell you if has or is made of carbonate...which if fine if you want to raise or maintain a higher pH.

I've personally never had an issue or know anyone personally who has had any problems with rocks they've found. The only rock I've wanted in a tank that I've held off on is a piece of calcite.

Granite, chert, slate, miscellaneous silicates, etc...pretty much all hard rocks are fair game as long as they are not salt.

I have a 75 gallon cichlid tank that acts as a display tank for a lot of the neat looking rocks I find. The entire substrate and all decorations are rocks I've picked up. Arrow heads look good mixed in.

edit: other found items like deer antlers look good with these things as well...they grow some algae and such and gradually change over time with some flaking and produce some cool looking patterns when mixed with some larger rocks and plants look really good imho.

I was watching tanked the other day. They did one for Jason Aldean. As far as antlers they did change the water quality so they made composite versions.

With rock patience is suggested. I am currently trying to locate an old wrought iron 10 gallon tank stand. I want to test rocks from my area before adding them. We have beautiful red and black granites here. I also found many geodes with purple crystal in them. They have passed vinegar test and the turkey fryer has boiled them already. So its time to soak and watch water quality.

I also found many geodes with purple crystal in them. They have passed vinegar test and the turkey fryer has boiled them already. So its time to soak and watch water quality.

!!! My daughter has gotten big into geodes lately. I hadn't thought of using them in the aquarium!

Ive used geodes lol. Just gotta watch sharp edges. I think like wood we sometimes over complicate rocks. Like wood more rocks are safe than are not safe.

Ty for the pantyhose trick. I may not be able to use the geodes. I honestly did not think about the jagged edges.

Back
Top Bottom