Sculpey clay decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am planning on making some clay terraces to make built up areas of sand in my new tank. I know sculpey is safe for aquarium use after it is oven cured, but are there any additional steps to make it safe? Should it be soaked in water for a while after it is dried?

Anyone? Is baking them enough to "cure" the pieces or do they need to be soaked and rinsed for a while?

Curing alone is probably good enough since the heat from the baking process should kill any germs. If you're really worried about it not being enough, spray it with vinegar and then let it soak in hot water overnight, then do a final rinse with hot water and it should be just fine. What brand of sculpey did you use?

I saw this form and wondered, I have kultz clay which is polymer clay, is that aquarium safe to use for caves

Any polymer clay is safe. I used the same brand, I think. Started with a K.

It doesn't matter what color the clay is, it's stable once baked. It shouldn't leach anything regardless of the color.

I just ordered about 2 lbs of sculpey myself and I'm thinking about making a DIY. Perhaps a coral bubbler. :3

Oooh, pretty! Are you going to paint it?

Edit: sorry, my brain skipped over the coral bubbler part. That's so cool! Is there an airstone underneath attatched to the tubing or is it just the tubing? I'd love to see it set up in your tank!

It's just attached to the air tube and a connecter valve. And I would like to keep it white. If I ever find fish-friendly paint I may spruce it up a little, but for now it'll stay white.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and call it safe. If there is any sense of doubt, I would let it soak in a bucket of water for a day or so and then test the water for any chemicals after it has been baked of course. This is the best way to test the product without causing any potential harm to your fish.

I've had the white cave in my glofish tank for about 2 months now and the only thing strange that I've noticed are little orange spots on it. All of my fish are fine, I used to have the decoration in with my cories, mollies, and guppies. Everyone is still healthy and happy. I've also made new decorations for my betta tank for shrimp to hide in. I've had no problems with it. I use the sculpey oven-bake clay. I would've painted them, but I have no idea what would work best in water...

Attachments

• image-2143171105.jpg
    image-2143171105.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 332
  • image-1486435326.jpg
    image-1486435326.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 711
  • image-2401441703.jpg
    image-2401441703.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 176
I've made a few things but haven't used them. Need to pick up more clay and make some stuff to actually use. I got a different brand and just don't trust it.

Back
Top Bottom