Sea monkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tezamundo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have searched for hours trying to find a answer for what seems a simple question lol, I bought my 1st set when I was 10 and never had much luck but 12 years on I got one for fun and it has turned out great having 40 of the critters swimming around :) and. I have now invested in a little 3 litre tank to give them a better home because I find them very interesting to watch, I have filled the tank with distilled water and have a aerator and heater ect but just want to know how much salt to add, i have natural evaporated sea salt which are quite coarse grains , please any one just a rough idea of how much to add in English eg tea spoons lol help would be much appreciated because I'm very much in the dark and don't want to wipe them all out

I have but nothing is clear different sites say different things

it should say how much salt is required to mix on the pakaging,the salinity needs to be 1.024.
The salt I use is 10kg for 60 gallons,if you use this principal you should be able to work out how much you need for 3 liters

Thanx but I am using household sea salt so there is no mention of aquariums on the packaging and I haven't got the kit to do all the measuring, does it have to be exact or?..... Is too little better than too much or other way around?

Household salt will kill them. If its ionized salt its bad. Kosher salt is okay and the ratio is 45ml of salt per liter of water, or 9 table spoons per gallon of water... which is a cup of salt and a pinch per gallon.
I keep brine shrimp aka sea monkeys too, mainly as fish food. I"ve found that you have to remeber to feed them very little and that they don't seem to need a heater. Some got into a plankton growing jar, and are doing quite fine 1 month along. And for reference my location is in the far north, currently its 20 degrees F out, about -5 C.

Thanx that helped a bit , I have organic salt which says free from anti caking agents and it contains potassium magnesium and calcium that is all, and has had no chemical or mechanical process , is this any good? Would they handle just 5 or 6 being moved into the new tank for a 'test' they are about 2 weeks old now and seen very lively

Thanx brilliant replys I Shall indeed get some baking soda and Epsom salt today, how come I can only expect them to live 50 days? They are meant to love for about a year so they say, am I making a big mistake attempting to move them?

O and I also have put 2 teaspoons of sea salt into the 3 litre tank and will also add gravel suitable for salt water, add more salt?

Back
Top Bottom