Sealing off overflow holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got a great deal on a used 90 gallon with an overflow. It has two holes... 1.5 and 1.75 inches. The bulkheads used to seal these are massive, and the holes are right next to eachother. Can I lay a strong piece of acrylic down, silicone the beegeezus out of it, and call it a day? I figure silicone holds my aquarium together, so the weight of all that water + silicone + heavy acrylic should hold???

Thanks !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well after doing some reading I decided to try it! I really did silicone the heck out of it. Under the acrylic, around the edges, and from under the tank surrounding the holes....locked up :)

Or take advantage of the holes and use a sump. ?

Or take advantage of the holes and use a sump. ��

Yeah, I wish I had two drains on my overflow box. I'm thinking of doing a PVC overflow to increase the drain flow.

I'm not super into sumps at the moment...plus no room under my particular stand?. But I can always unseal it if I change my mind. The silicone said to cure for 12 hours and I cured 24 and I'm going to test it out with water...think it's ready? I sure hope it works!!

If it doesn't ill try the PVC way, but these holes are very close so if the cap is too big it still won't fit! (Bummer)

Well a few days in and no leaks ...so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom