Selling DIY AIO market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was sitting through class and thought of a good idea that could possibly get me some extra money without a lot of effort. I was wondering if there is a big market for AIO tanks without the high cost of the Biocube or Nanocube.

My idea? Build and sell a standard AG 20 gallon long AIO. It would come with the tank, return pump ( looking at the Hydor pico evolution 1200 rated at 300gph and low energy consumption), DIY media basket, lid (either the stock glass lid or a DIY custom fit, and possibly a Current Nova Extreme T5ho Fixture (as an option).

Is the market for nano AIO tanks big enough to try something like this? I know the main problem with the current AIO available is the equipment that they come with is usually worthless and we all end up upgrading. So why not make an AIO that has a light fixture that doesn't need upgrading or doesn't need new pumps.

I won't start buying in bulk unless this actually hits off. Maybe a made to order starting on Craigslist. Maybe also doing other tank sizes as well prices will depend on the tank size. Possibly do optional upgrades.

Any thoughts? If I were to start something like this could it hit the classifieds here with high demand? I am looking at being able to sell AIO tanks that come functional without upgrades, but are versatile enough that if you need an upgrade it is a simple change and not a retrofit.

Here are design plans of how the AIO will be set up

Attachments

• tank_filter.jpg
    tank_filter.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 222
  • tank_media rack.jpg
    tank_media rack.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 198
  • tank_side.jpg
    tank_side.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 176
Knowing how many of the smaller tanks with built in filtration and lights my LFS sells I can see it working if you can price it right. At least it will be a functional product with the T5 lighting as opposed to some I've seen.

The problem with anything like this is going to be marketing it enough for people to want to buy it. Can it sell? I think so from what you have. Will it? That is hard to say. Perhaps build one and take really good pictures and post it up for sale and see how it does. That right there will give you a good idea.

Also think about shipping for those who aren't local. There will be some who want it shipped. You can also get with your LFS and see if they are willing to share in the profit if willing to have one or two displayed and for sale. You can always charge a little more for those to make up for the split the LFS will take.

I have posted an ad on Craigslist, starting locally, and got a reply. Haven't heard back from them yet. I will see if my LFS is willing to have one on display. It's a really small shop so space is limited

I wouldn't start advertising until you actually have one made. You can really upset someone by selling them something you don't even have or have tested... unless you have already? Didn't see that mentioned.

I have made a few but I have no pictures. They were a few sold at church garage sales a while back when I had to take apart my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom