Semi automated water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted something like the aqueon water changer but
Didn't feel like spending 50$ on one so I made my own.

Shopping list
Hose adapter ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407978067.655301.jpg

Hose of needed length (I have a 50ft)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407978136.682595.jpg

Hose to faucet adapter

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407978201.811468.jpg

And your siphon

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407978242.298056.jpg

How to build

It's really simple. Just insert your hose adapter into the siphons hosing. That's the only real assembly required.

How to use

Screw the siphon onto the hose

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407978384.083529.jpg

Run your hose down (has to be down this won't work if the sink you are using is above the tank unfortunately) to the sink. Siphon out your water to the desired level. Then to fill remove the aerator and screw on the facet-hose adapter. Then screw on the hose. If the facet leaks rap a cloth around it so it won't spray everywhere. I built this for a total of 24$. Hope you like this, im sure it's been done before but I wanted to share my project with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I built something very similar but I used a waterbed drain/fill attachment on my sink. Solves the problem of the siphon not working if your sink is above tank's water level. I had the waterbed siphon piece on hand but I've seen them on Amazon for about $5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found the waterbed kit at true value for 6 or 7 bucks.

I find the python to drain very slow and not enough pressure to clean gravel. But I am using 50 feet so it goes from my tank 30 inches up to the ground about 40 feet and then up about 30 or so inches to the sink.

I find the python to drain very slow and not enough pressure to clean gravel. But I am using 50 feet so it goes from my tank 30 inches up to the ground about 40 feet and then up about 30 or so inches to the sink.

That probably has more to do with water pressure than anything. I use 100ft hose on mine and it can suck up pea gravel if I'm not careful.

That's my biggest beef with the python, if you suck up any kind of plant material or semi solid gunk, it gets clogged and you have to go fiddle with it.

That probably has more to do with water pressure than anything. I use 100ft hose on mine and it can suck up pea gravel if I'm not careful.

That's my biggest beef with the python, if you suck up any kind of plant material or semi solid gunk, it gets clogged and you have to go fiddle with it.

Wow what kind of water pressure do you have. I am using my utility sink I know my house pressure is around 50-60 psi will have to find my gauge to test at my sink.

Wonder if the quick connect adapter has an impact on performance.

The quick connect may change it. I'm only using 50 feet of 5/8 inch tubing but once the siphon is underway, I can actually turn the faucet off and my waterbed drain connection actually still sucks water out, although it's slow that way. Only have silk plants, but I've sucked up a couple small leaves but never clogged it completely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow what kind of water pressure do you have. I am using my utility sink I know my house pressure is around 50-60 psi will have to find my gauge to test at my sink.

Wonder if the quick connect adapter has an impact on performance.

Maybe, I had to switch to a 'neverkink' drinking water hose to keep the hoses from collapsing on themselves after a few months. I just use a cheap 'fill and drain' waterbed kit thing from ebay as well. I'd like to find a metal one, the plastic ones break on me about twice a year it seems like. They are cheap to replace at least.

I tested my psi at my sink and it was around 60. When I put the water bed fill kit on and set to fill it dropped to 50. Seems like the fill kit slows it down a bit.

One thing about my drain and fill kit, the plastic piece that goes on the faucet, if it's not on there tight, the bottom portion that the hose screws into can swivel around. And if it can swivel around, it means there's a slight air gap and it keeps it from having much suction. So I have to always make sure it's tight on there, and then keep from moving the hose around much where it's connected at the faucet.

Back
Top Bottom