Should my floor support this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amoore658

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I've gone out and bought a 4 foot x 4 foot x 1 foot above ground swimming pool. It's very light weight, and is only a vinyl/rubber type material with light weight "poles" supporting it. Infact, I can lift the entrie pool with one finger it's that light. It's really just like pond liner with poles supporting it.

When full, it will hold about 90 UK gallons (108 US?) I'm going to put it in a spare room on the second floor of my house. Considering how well the "pressure" will be spread out, should my floor support this? Or should I put it in the spare room downstairs?

Thanks!

Well thats almost 900 lbs it depends on the construction and any other things in the room. How big are the floor joists and whats the span between walls. If you keep it closer to the walls rather then in the center it should be ok, also make sure it encompasses as many beams as possible

I think your second floor will support it no problem. Unless your house has structural issues, of course. A water bed is much heavier than that and that's no problem either.

Most floor joists are 2×8 if it is a upstairs floor they are problly 2×6s either way both will support 900lbs no problem the weight will be distributed pretty good i am a home builder and i would not worry about putting it in my home sounds like a awsome idea good luck

Make sure you distribute it across your floor joist utilizing as many as possible to distribute the load. Alot of newer construction are using I-joist so depending on floor and decking material be careful your not spilling water on it on a regular basis because over time it will lose it's integrity.

You can also take a piece of thick plywood the layered li.d not the particle cut it the size of the base of the pool and put it under the pool it should help distribute the weight more evenly.

id be more worried the liner would cause a moisture buildup underneath it. rotting the floor.

Back
Top Bottom