Shrimp start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fulhi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am about to start a shrimp tank. What are the conditions and will it be harmed by molly and angle fish?

Hello and welcome to the community!

If you are thinking of having the Angel and Molly in the tank with the shrimp - I am guessing you mean dwarf shrimp like Cherry Shrimp, then it would be very difficult in the beginning because those fish like to eat small prey, of which shrimp are enjoyed, especially any babies. If it fits in their mouth they want to eat it.

Some alternative options might be Amano shrimp to live with your fish, or after you have an established and stable tank, possibly Bamboo shrimp which need some special care too.

BUT, if you wanted to set up a little separate tank where the shrimp would be able to breed and increase in numbers, then that would be ideal. The only fish so far I have found that do not seem to bother the breeding of the shrimp is the Boraras Brigittae aka Chili Rasbora.

You could try adding some shrimp in a tank with your Angel and other commuity fish if there are many hiding places. Adults might be okay, but not probably. It could also depend on your tank size. Some members do keep the shrimp in the tanks with community fish, but it never really worked for me.

Something like this could help having a few around the tank - you can use Cholla Wood and also make your own with bamboo pieces.
Shrimp Home Ceramic Beeramid Shelter- Aquarium Shrimp Spawning Breedi​ng Cave | eBay

Hello and welcome to the community!

If you are thinking of having the Angel and Molly in the tank with the shrimp - I am guessing you mean dwarf shrimp like Cherry Shrimp, then it would be very difficult in the beginning because those fish like to eat small prey, of which shrimp are enjoyed, especially any babies. If it fits in their mouth they want to eat it.

Some alternative options might be Amano shrimp to live with your fish, or after you have an established and stable tank, possibly Bamboo shrimp which need some special care too.

BUT, if you wanted to set up a little separate tank where the shrimp would be able to breed and increase in numbers, then that would be ideal. The only fish so far I have found that do not seem to bother the breeding of the shrimp is the Boraras Brigittae aka Chili Rasbora.

You could try adding some shrimp in a tank with your Angel and other commuity fish if there are many hiding places. Adults might be okay, but not probably. It could also depend on your tank size. Some members do keep the shrimp in the tanks with community fish, but it never really worked for me.

Something like this could help having a few around the tank - you can use Cholla Wood and also make your own with bamboo pieces.
Shrimp Home Ceramic Beeramid Shelter- Aquarium Shrimp Spawning Breedi​ng Cave | eBay

Thanks man. Would be really helpful

Back
Top Bottom