silicon that is not suitable for aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi i brought this silicon from ace hardware and i have already made my tank using this silicon. now the packaging on this silicon reads:
1. ...under "for best results" it says not recommended for use on aquariums. now since i have already made the aquarium using this sealant i am a bit confused if i should proceed with this ...or I have to repair it completely

2. ....under "specifications" it says meets or exceeds........FDA reg no 21, CFR 177-2600. i think that this means it is food safe. I have read this above regulation on the internet.

it does say as 100% silicon
can you guys help me to determine if i can use it on my tank

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
As long as it is 100% you should be fine. You don't want it to have anything for mold or added things.

That product appears to have a mildewcide, which makes it unsuitable for use in an aquarium. Having 100% silicone on the label doesn't make it safe. You need a product that doesn't contain mildewcide, regard;ess of brand. Usually, anything that says "Kitchen and Bath" or "Tub and Tile" has a mildewcide and shouldn't be used. In the case of GE brand Silicone I, the version that says "Windows and Doors" is safe. As well, there are house brands that will say "safe for aquariums" or even "ideal for aquariums" on the label.
Often times the "not recommended for aquariums" warning is for the benefit of the manufacturer and vendor, which releases them from liability should you use it and have a failure resulting in damage.
I would dismantle that tanks and redo it.

hi i posted the picture after I post the message. my tank is 120cm*50cm*40cm. yes I know it is mildew resistant. this is the only problem i think is in the silicon. well i do not know what to do about it.
some guys in this forum also said that the mildew resistant will not be a worry. i really don't know what to do. i am still thinking. :confused:
but guys thanks for posting your replies.

Just buy a new tube. They are only a few bucks.. And if ur not gonna use that one take it back and exchange it. Just tell them u bought the wrong one and wanted to exchange it.

Just buy a new tube. They are only a few bucks.. And if ur not gonna use that one take it back and exchange it. Just tell them u bought the wrong one and wanted to exchange it.

He has already made the tank. That's the issue here.

yes the tank is already made and i think the silicon cannot be cut to take the glasses apart. i did make a try to cut the silicon, but it holds the glass tight and there is no space to move the blade. so i did not cut the silicon.

yes the tank is already made and i think the silicon cannot be cut to take the glasses apart. i did make a try to cut the silicon, but it holds the glass tight and there is no space to move the blade. so i did not cut the silicon.

I don't think that you should tear the tank apart. You could just clean out the silicone on the inside corners then just reseal them with the proper type 1 ge silicone. It is not that hard to get it out, get the correct scrapper and it should be fairly simple.

Back
Top Bottom