Silicone + Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright, i've never used silicone to put rocks together, but i'm sure others have, which is why i'm asking it up.

Anyways, i have a pretty decently heavy rock.. maybe six pounds, and i really want it to stand up because it's an awesome looking rock. So.. my question is what kind of aquarium grade silicone should i use that is really strong, won't give out over time and won't let the rock break off, etc..

Also, any tips to sticking rocks together via silicone?

If it's really heavy, I doubt silicone will really hold it if you're trying to get it stuck into an exact position.

Others have used slate bases, stainless steel rods and drilled the rock to let the rod go through it.

All that being said, I've never siliconed rock so maybe someone has actual experience.

Ha.. that steel rod is a good idea since the rocks i wanted to work with are pretty heavy. Hmm.. i'll see what i have to work with. I'm just really trying to make a rock structure that will look good and compiled, instead of sloppy rock piling.

I'll see what i can find. Thanks neilanh for the info because i may just wind up going the drilling, steel rod route to get the look i really want.

neilanh! Thank you! That's a great page!

I definitely know what i want to do now. Thank so much!

Don't use a steel rod, it will rust over time in saltwater. Use either pvc, fiberglass or acrylic rods.

Here's a tank that was setup with live rock pillars held together with acrylic rods.
When 1st started.
rock-pillar-8.gif

Now.
full-tank-2-100409.gif

how about I send you pics of what I have and you guys try to tell me how to scape it!! I want that pic up two posts sooo bad

I will have pics! For sure!

And yeah Capt, i didn't plan to use steel.. i was(am) going to be using thread rods, OR PVC. Whichever i can get easier. And that tank rockwork is freakin amazing. I want to do something like that on a smaller scale for my 40.

Thanks for the pics and the info Capt, and thanks neilanh for the link. You guys are great! ;)

haha well ccCapt your tank looks amazing too though. Your rockwork is flawless as well. Either one of you..seriously I would love some help re scaping my tank

If you do decide to go the silicone route, you'll want to use GE I Window and Door 100% clear silicone. GE II Silicone contains mold inhibitors which can prove harmful to fish.

Silicone is extremely strong when bonding to a flat surface, but with rocks, depending on what kind, it may not do a very good job. The DIY background that I made is EXTREMELY buoyant and the silicone holds it under water no problem.

Yeah. I'm passing on the silicone and going the drilling+thread rod or PVC route. For my purposes i think using the drilling method will make my structure a heck of a lot more stable since the structure will be reaching from the very bottom of the tank, to the near top. And my tank is 18" deep.

However, i will be needing silicone to tidy up some parts of the rock and to attach the last piece of the structure to the back glass panel. So you say to use GE I Window and Door 100% clear silicone? This silicone is strong and is aquarium safe?

GE I is a good one. Basically you just want to make sure there's no inhibitors added in to whatever silicone you use - just use pure silicone.

Actually my silicone is Window, Door, Basement & Attic GE Silicon I Clear 100% Silicone. It is very strong when cured correctly and is aquarium safe. Let it cure for 24-48 hours.

Make absolutely sure though that it says GE I not GE II.

And curing would mean letting it dry completely without moisture. Correct?

Not so much the moisture part, but letting it completely dry and offgas. Low moisture will help that happen faster, but it will fully cure eventually.

Back
Top Bottom