Simple CO2 diffusion concept, will it work.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fairly simple idea for diffusing CO2 from the sugar and yeast bottle system that i am using that should work ok with my old Aqua one 101F Maxi internal filter (which basically sucks 400L/hour through a removable chamber with a sponge inside and shoots it out the top in a fast stream). My plan is to have a bottle or sealed container that i will divert the outflow into (in a fine spray if possible). The bottle will also be where i pipe the CO2 from my sugar and yeast bottle.

The diffusion bottle will have 2 outlets and 2 intakes. One of the intakes will be located near the top for the CO2 to enter. The second intake will be where i spray water into the bottle from my pump/filter. I'll add two outflows as an emergency measure. Both will be capable of draining the flow from the pump, but i'll have the emergency outflow situated about halfway between the CO2 intake at the top and the regular outflow valve down low. I am toying with the idea of adding a venturi line to ensure there is still oxygen in the mix.

The idea is to get the water spraying into the chamber filled with CO2 so the CO2 is getting loads of contact with the water spray and hopefully attaches a lot better before entering the tank.

As i said i'm fairly new to live tanks so i don't know if this would be very helpful or not but i think it would work well.

Any thoughts? Suggested tweaks (I might add some java moss to the bottle under a layer of plastic mesh as some biological filtration). I could easily switch from a bottle to a different airtight container. I'd probably also need to add a one way valve to prevent oxygen from the sprayed water going back into the Yeast system.

I'm off to buy provisions for the build now. I'll try and post some pics later if i'm able to. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom