Simple, unique, auto top off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Echistas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
No pictures because I'm lazy.

This is a continuation of my last thread. I think you can find it via my username

Goal: auto top off system -- 0 risk of flooding, minimal space. 12 gallon long. Cheap.

Imagine:

Reservoir with in/out hooked to peristaltic pump

Pump inlet and outlet each have their own u-shaped glass bend over the tank. Set the output back into the reservoir. -- don't think too hard yet

Set the "input" u-bend entrance at the exact height you want the water level

Connect the pump to a timer

The pump runs every day, or twice a day, or once a week -- whatever you set it to

If the water level reaches that "input" glass u-bend. (Which is set to the level you want the aquarium). It will begin to pump water back into the reservoir. If the water is below that level, it will pump air into the reservoir, which is good, because that water needs to be replaced with something

Get it?

Zero risk of flooding

Less than 20 dollars

No sensor

No mechanical float switch thing

Easy

Simple

Cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you please post pics? Sounds like a cool idea but hard to understand without pics :)

Sounds good on paper! Make it so;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll put it all together once my stand comes in and share some pictures. Let me know if you see any holes in my theory.

Sounds impossible to mess up, really.

So the return method involves a pump or overflow? I'd opt for overflow, if the pump runs dry it will likely burn out or worse start a fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, peristaltic pumps can push air as well. There's no risk of it causing a fire.

No overflow either, it will simply suck in the same amount of water as it pushes out once the water level reaches the suction point

The goal is to avoid sensors and keep it cheap and simple. No need for a sensor, just adjust the length of time as needed . Over time you will begin to learn how much water is evaporating each day

just an update to let you guys know this design worked flawlessly. If there is any interest, I can share pics, let me know :)

I ended up using one tupperware, an aqua lifter, and some 1/4" tubing. I have myself a working autotop off that is virtually fail-proof

Yes please, pictures would help us understand this concept a lot more! Great to hear that it worked for you!

Pictures!!!!!

I hope it worked:) let me know if you can not see them

I would love feedback positive or negative welcomed :)

ATO Build.jpg

thumb_IMG_3873_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_3874_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_3875_1024.jpg

Does this link work better?

2q1i4qc.png

Amazing! I might try this

No, I add new water from an RO filter when it runs out. Water is constantly evaporating from the tank and replaced by the water in the reservoir.

I've calculated the evaporation rate and set the timer to give me what I need only (plus a tiny bit more)

The purpose of the siphon function is solely for the scenario where a timer might malfunction. It's to remove any possibility of flooding

Back
Top Bottom