Slate Backdrop For 75 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOSCOLETTY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone...
I am getting ready to try an setup a 75 gallon Freshwater tank. I want the background to be made of Tricolored Slate I purchased from Lowes. My question is about attaching the Slate to the aquarium glass.

Is there different "strengths" of silicone? I know I have to use aquarium safe silicone, but what about how well they hold?

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey everyone...
I am getting ready to try an setup a 75 gallon Freshwater tank. I want the background to be made of Tricolored Slate I purchased from Lowes. My question is about attaching the Slate to the aquarium glass.

Is there different "strengths" of silicone? I know I have to use aquarium safe silicone, but what about how well they hold?

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

That's a great idea. Not sure about the silicone though. I know GE silicone 1 is safe. Could you upload a pic of the slate or a link of what you bought? I never thought of that before.

Slate Pic...

This is a picture of the Slate I bought from Lowes. It should look very cool, even though it is all uniformly shaped. I plan on applying it as "Brickwork" would be done. After a little algae growth, it should look cool. Let me know what you think...

Attachments

• SLATE.jpg
    SLATE.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Not sure why but I can see your post in the preview but not when I click on the actual thread. Maybe this post will fix it.

This is a great idea. Never thought of doing this. Make sure you use 100% silicone. Submit pics when ur done

This is a picture of the Slate I bought from Lowes. It should look very cool, even though it is all uniformly shaped. I plan on applying it as "Brickwork" would be done. After a little algae growth, it should look cool. Let me know what you think...

Looks great. I will have to keep that in mind for future tanks. Keep us posted!!

Tanks done...yeah!

Well, I finally finished the tank. I built the stand myself, and did the Slate Background I was wanting too. Hope you all enjoy.

The stand was made with 2x6 on the top and bottom frame, and 2x4 on the corners, and 2x6 for the middle bracing up and down. I used a "Stone" textured paint.
IMG_1463.jpg
IMG_1465.jpg
IMG_1467.jpg
The tank is a 75 gallon Marineland/Perfecto. I siliconed Tri-Colored Slate to the back glass. I used Caribsea African Cichlid Mix substrate. I have a couple pieces of Baserock, with a few Anubias plants. I have 2 Marineland Emperor 400 HOB filters, 2 Eheim 150W heaters, and a Deep Blue Solarmax T5 2x 54 Watt Lighting system.

My fish are all African Cichlids...

Enjoy.

Well, I finally finished the tank. I built the stand myself, and did the Slate Background I was wanting too. Hope you all enjoy.

The stand was made with 2x6 on the top and bottom frame, and 2x4 on the corners, and 2x6 for the middle bracing up and down. I used a "Stone" textured paint.

The tank is a 75 gallon Marineland/Perfecto. I siliconed Tri-Colored Slate to the back glass. I used Caribsea African Cichlid Mix substrate. I have a couple pieces of Baserock, with a few Anubias plants. I have 2 Marineland Emperor 400 HOB filters, 2 Eheim 150W heaters, and a Deep Blue Solarmax T5 2x 54 Watt Lighting system.

My fish are all African Cichlids...

Enjoy.

That stand looks amazing. Great job. Do you have any pictures of the slate and the tank itself?

Back
Top Bottom