Slate caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJG187

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I was iced in so I decided to finally build the slate caves I already preped for. The object is 12.5" tall 15" wide and 12" deep. It's made from slate and aquarium safe silicon.

Attachments

• image-1746651346.jpg
    image-1746651346.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,302
SeverumGuy said:
Looks awesome. Did you silicone it together?

Yes I did with DAP 100% silicon aquarium safe (found at home depot or lowes).

maxst2 said:
That looks sweet!

Thank you very much. It took a while to make.

It definitely looks like it took a while. I didn't know you could find silicone at home depot and the like that's safe for aquariums. I've always gotten it from LFSs

SeverumGuy said:
It definitely looks like it took a while. I didn't know you could find silicone at home depot and the like that's safe for aquariums. I've always gotten it from LFSs

Yeah the response to you earlier was the type I used which became messy because the aluminum tube broke half way through but you can also use "GE 100% silicon I" so I've heard. The DAP silicon was actually $6 oppose to $10 or $12 for the ones at the LFS.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I love this! I am definitely going to try something similar for my 55g.

Thank you they are fun to make actually. Although it may be due to my passion for Lego building as a kid. It took be back to those days haha.

looks pretty cool, I did something like this with river rocks a while back which failed because I rushed it and they just didn't balance on eachother well. How did you stop them from sliding off eachother?

th08tu said:
looks pretty cool, I did something like this with river rocks a while back which failed because I rushed it and they just didn't balance on eachother well. How did you stop them from sliding off eachother?

I stacked them first to where it would balance by itself (in case the silicon became weak it wouldn't tumble on my fish). Then I picked each piece up one by one and glued them in their place. I did that one section at a time.

were did you get the slate from? i've been looking for some scaping ideas and this is awesome! you did a fantastic job!

tallchik77 said:
were did you get the slate from? i've been looking for some scaping ideas and this is awesome! you did a fantastic job!

Thank you. I actually picked it up from home depot. They sell it at the lfs but it's to expensive. Just make sure it is uncured slate or it will be toxic. Then let it soak for a few days.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
So, just curious, what brand of silicon did you use?

"DAP 100% silicon aquarium safe" was the full name.

You can also use GE 100% silicone...just be sure to get the one for doors and windows...NOT the one for bathrooms (the kind with a mildewcide is bad). It is either called GE Type One or GE Type Two...and I can never remember which it is. Just look for GE Type (something) for doors and windows.

Last edited:
Purplegibbon said:
I wanna see some pic's with it in a tank!!! :p

This is a picture (not very good one) of it in my tank.

Attachments

• image-3640146196.jpg
    image-3640146196.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 478
Back
Top Bottom