Slight Leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright. My tank is drilled with an overflow and a return fitting. The bulkhead for the return line is slightly leaking. Nothing serious, but enough to pose a problem. Where the hosing barb fits into the actual bulkhead if where it's leaking...not from the inside of the tank. Since I may need to move the hose in the future, etc, etc, should I just silicone around it, so I can scrape it off when I need to move the barb? Epoxy will cement it there forever. Ideas? Thanks for any and all help!

Use straight pvc to make a hose nipple and glue it in place with PVC cement. If it's not cemented in place...that is why it's leaking. If you use a straight piece of pvc, it shouldn't be a problem to remove the bulkhead later, pvc and all ;)

So I need to find some connecting pieces, get a tiny piece of pvc the same size, put it in between, and glue the pvc pipe into the bulkhead? I've got some scrap 3/4" pvc somewhere around here from the skimmer assembly. I can use that, if that's what you're talking about. Oh, and hey, thanks for the help. (y)

Ok, the bulkhead is actually made of the same pipe as lawn sprinklers. It's not pvc or anything close. So, not only can I not use pvc cement, but it's a completely different size than any pvc. There's no way to make a bridge from the elbow to the bulkhead. So, if I have to glue the elbow into the bulkhead, so be it. Problem is, what's a safe adhesive to use on this kind of piping?

If it's a standard aquarium bulkhead, pvc cement will work on it. While regular pvc is not a tight fit, it should work with plenty of cement. If you don't mind replacing the bulkhead and fitting if you ever have to move it, you can simply cement the existing fitting in place ;)

Back
Top Bottom