splitting canister filter intake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lscotty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone split the intake on there canister filter? Just to clarify 1 canister filter and 1 intake line to the tank but then splitting it and having 2 intake strainers in opposite corners of the tank. If you have tried it how did it work? And how did you do it?

I've beenlookong at doing it but didnt want to cause filtering problems by the intakes being to big or to small and having it not have enough suction or reducing the size and straining the filter cause it to burn out quicker.

Any advice, opinions or feedback appreciated

I think that all depends on how big the tank is. I can't see you losing much flow under 40 gallons but a 55 and up could be a Problem and significantly hinder flow. Pretty much the issue at hand is distance from one strainer to the other.

The tank I would do it on would be 140g with the 2 intakes 18" apart. Someone has to have tried it at some point. I searched for hours but only found people wanting to hook 2 canisters into 1 intake/return. I will most likely try it at some point and test it before putting it on the tank but hopefully someone has tried it and can share some input

There is an eheim that works on that principle. I would just use PVC and some elbows to run over the edge and two 45 degree elbows to form a Y leading to the filter.

By just using a Y and keeping the same size pipe the flow on the 2 end with the stainers would be less then if you had the single strainer. Reducing the size of pipe into the tank after the Y would help but going to small would strain the filter and burn it out quicker. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it?

Those eheim T junctions are just a basic T. I already have the same thing but got it from the hardware store for 1/4 the cost of the eheim ones And a lot of places online listed the eheim ones as discontinued. I could just put a T and 2 strainers and call it done but then your reducing the ammount of suction at the strainer end. Which is why I'm hoping someone has tried it and will know how well it did or didn't work.

Ok, my bad!
Good luck with the project :)
I just added a second canister filter the other day. Works very good of course, but it's not the cheapest solution, and does not answer your question.

No problem. You never know wjen the one thing you thoight wasn't important to share was the one thing I needed. I also just added a 2nd canister filter. Which is what made me think about splitting the intake. My tank is drilled and has an overflow centered on the right side. One filter runs through the overflow with the return behind the overflow box. The other filers intake is in front of the overflow with a spraybar along the back wall. I thoight splitting the intake and having one on front of the overflow and one behind would be nice as long as it didnt lose flow or filtering. Im sure thats confusing so I attached a drawing with the current layout that might help. I also have 2 nano 425 powerheads 1 on the back right down low and one on the front left up high. Sorry its such a crappy drawing I just did it on my phone.

83799-albums13152-picture61790.jpg

If I understand what you are asking I wouldn't see an issue of two intakes. Each pipe will only flow X amount of water and if you used 2 pipes the same as you have now it would, in theory mean double the water going out.
However, the pump will only pump the water it can and then the flow slows/stops as there is no place for it to go (it backs up)..unless there is a opening somewhere below the water level at which time you'll have one heck of a mess to clean up.

I have "split" the return by adding a spray bar that went from side to side and this has been done by a lot of people so doesn't hurt things.

I've pretty much put on hold trying it for now. Im getting a 55 gallon setup from my brother in a few weeks so I'll play around with it when I get that tank and not have to worry about bothering the fish trying different setups to see how they work

Yeah yeah, I know.....
This is almost 3 yrs old but I'm running a similar set up & thought I would chime in, in case someone else reads this of cares to add.
The short answer is YES, it works fine but a couple things to consider.
The long answer 1st - I replaced my old 55g with a new 75g. The stand that came with it has a open shelf on the bottom & 2 small cabinets above, that will not accommodate a full size canister filter & my chick says I cant have a bunch of crap spread out all over. There is a closet behind the tank & would love to run everything in there but old craftsman homes are light on storage space so no go!!
I had 2 mid/small sized canisters on my 55g & felt a larger tank should surely have 2 intakes. Duh?? IMO it gives a tank more balanced filtration.
So rather than spend a ton of time trying to make my old filters fit by cutting out shelves & re-engineering a new support structure to carry the weight (not a guarantee with my work). I googled every filter dimensions I could find & came up with a EcoPlus 633 pump used externally to "PULL" two Sunsun 603 mini canisters (1st mechanical, 2nd bio) & then to a inline diy 4in PVC w/ heater & UV light in the same tube.
I found 2 Sunsun intake kits on the bay for $7 each shipped. Added a Y adapter from the hardware store, connected it to canister #1 & I was rollin.
1. - I did lose a wee bit of flow due to going from around 6ft of hose to 10ft. Plus the fact its now pulling from 2 sources.
2. - I feel like the pump is working less since i reduced the hose diameter (1/2 in) from the intake to the Y connector (3/4 in) down from there.
I would say the power of the pump is the deciding factor. My pump is doing a good job for now on my set up. May add a 3rd mini bio canister soon if I can squeeze it in there. We'll see if the pump can handle it...

Back
Top Bottom