Stand for 20g long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fouldsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up a 20g long a few weeks ago in the Petco $1/gallon sale, and I'm planning on setting it up as a FOWLR tank. First, I need to build a stand for it to fit a specific location in the office. For speed of construction and strength, trusty 2x4's were used.

This is one end piece assembled and pieces for the other end ready to go:

DSCF0005.jpg

Attaching the two back lengths:

DSCF0007.jpg

The completed frame; the lack of lower front length is intentional so that we can fit stuff under the stand:

DSCF0009.jpg

Putting the frame in to the office to make sure I measured everything correctly. Not sure why the top piece seems like it's bowing in the photo as it sure doesn't when you look at it in person, especially given it's screwed down along the front length. And this is why there's no lower front length - we don't really have anywhere else for these in our little room:

DSCF0011.jpg

At this point, my helpful assistant decided to make his presence known. For the most part, he's merely intrigued by my 55g FW tank without ever trying to climb inside (though you're only in trouble if you get caught, right...?):

DSCF0015.jpg

I keep telling him curiosity killed the cat, but he doesn't seem to believe me... Anyways, I figured the extra 8lbs or so would help test the joints of the frame (well, aside from all 240lbs of me having already comfortably sat on it!) :lol:

DSCF0018.jpg

It certainly seems strong enough, and fits perfectly in the space required. I intentionally made the stand deeper than needed so I have 4-5" behind the stand where I *could* place a power strip and such, but I'm a little wary about doing that in case water does spill out the back. I could also route the cables down along a cable tidy behind one of the rear legs?

Tomorrow I'll work on filling in the holes from driving the screws in and sanding everything down ready to stain. For now, I'm not planning on any panels on the back or sides - they're not going to be seen, and is a lot of work for minimal gain. I can always add them at a later date. So long as I can sand down the 2x4 legs smooth enough and slowly stain/sand/stain/repeat I'm hoping it gives a decent enough finish.

Sanded everything down and applied the first coat of stain this evening:

IMAG0246.jpg

Amazing how quickly somewhat rough-looking 2x4's can be smartened up ;) The humidity is nuts outside right now here in St Louis, but isn't too bad down in the basement. Hopefully these few coats of stain take okay, as last summer I really hard a hard time when my workshop was out in a garage.

I'm still not sure as to where to route power for everything. I'm generally pretty careful when doing water changes so figure behind the tank on the top piece would be fine, and at least keep all the cables from dangling around to the floor (where the cat is sure to find entertainment value...). Is kinda weird building a stand that doesn't have cabinets to house all the power and keep clutter to a minimal!

Sanded down and added second coat of stain tonight :)

Also ordered up a 20lbs bag of Caribbean Live Sand, a bag of Instant Ocean salt mix, a pair of Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO 400 PRO powerheads and a Theo 100W heater. Am looking at adding about 30-35lbs of live rock, and still taking suggestions on a light unit...?

So in the last few days I sanded down and added a third coat of stain and then applied a Cabot polyurethane finish. The photos make the finish a lot darker than it is - it's almost black here!

DSCF0001.jpg

This is with the 20g on top :) I had to add a small composite shim under each of the front legs to level it all out just to be on the safe side:

DSCF0004.jpg

And, of course, the curious one...

DSCF0006.jpg

The rock should be here Wednesday, and then the fun of actually putting the tank together can begin :dance:

Back
Top Bottom