Stand Pics what do you guys think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Garf stand plus some extra

Attachments

• img_1374_115.jpg
    img_1374_115.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 54
  • img_1375_126.jpg
    img_1375_126.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 43
i think a couple people use shims, but i dont have any experience in the matter.

use hardwood shims if you need to level the stand. use enough to get full contact across the entire bottom surface of the stand.

how much out of level are we talking about? over the length of your tank, how much of an elevation change is there in the floor?

also, how many screws did you put in each leg where they attach to the top and bottom? with the garf stand design, you are relying on the screws to transmit the load from the top frame to the legs.

i would put a full sheet of plywood in on the top of the lower frame. if you dont, the first time something rolls under that plywood you are going to kick yourself for not enclosing it. also, i would add a sheet of 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the bottom frame.

~mike

4 screws and wood glue its a little less then a quater of a inch off what do you mean 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the frame?

eddiedellz said:
4 screws and wood glue its a little less then a quater of a inch off what do you mean 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the frame?
with a 1/4 change across your tank, i would probably shim it.

the 3/4 plywood on the bottom of the bottom frame would distribute the load on a larger surface area than just the ends of the 2x4's... is it absolutely necessary? no, but it is just me being an overcautious engineer. since you are going to shim it anyway, this really wouldnt do anything.

~mike

I made shims out of wood I had lying around. They are relatively cheap to purchase at a hardware store if you need to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom