stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bktgifridays

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finished my paludarium about a month ago and I'm about ready to start stocking it. Looking for suggestions please! Open to any and all! Thanks

ForumRunner_20141116_174212.jpg

With all the space taken up by the diy rock/ land formation probably only around 20 gallons.

Native darters or minnows, rummynose or cardinal tetras, a pair of rams with the tetras. It would look pretty awesome, and maybe some cories.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. Any other small cats other than cory's that could work? Even maybe not for life?

I'm not good with catfish, otos and BN plecos, maybe a bulldog Pleco would work.

well if u up grade to a 30 gallon soon a
banjo cat 6 inch full grown
Spotted Raphael Catfish - talks-bark thing cat do out of water
6-7 inches

well if u up grade to a 30 gallon soon a
banjo cat 6 inch full grown
Spotted Raphael Catfish - talks-bark thing cat do out of water
6-7 inches

The OP would have to completely redo to paludarium to increase the volume and that does not look like an option.

Thanks all. I currently have a couple Raphael cats in another tank so not interested in them. Not sure I like the banjo cats. Spent some time researching and I'm leaning toward a group of synodontis petricola(neat little cats that I've kept before but not in many years). Any type of cichlid that would work for awhile? P.S. I do have several other tanks where I could relocate fish if they out grew the habitat (10g-800g indoor pond).

Pretty sure I've decided on a few Anoles for the land portion of the tank.

Anoles would most likely drown as they aren't water lizards , maybe some fire belly newts and fire belly frogs few loaches
a fog machine would give your tank that swamp look and would look neat under some blue lights , always wanted a newt tank my wife would kill me if I got rid of her gold fish
a 40g breeder would make a sick newt tank
ok now the wheels are turning and that's not a good thing for me :D
it gets me in trouble lmao

I would never claim to be an Anole or reptile expert but I'm 99% sure the anoles won't drowned. At least 50% of the 55g tank is land plus branches and such. When I was much younger and still living with my parents we had an aquarium for many years that was simply split 50/50 land/water and we kept many anoles with no issues. Although they aren't known to be swimmers, most if not all living things have a fairly strong natural survival instinct. If by chance they do accidentally fall into the water, they will swim! Fairly sure a few anoles would love the habitat! Nice thought on the fogger though! I've thought about it but the humidity in the tank is already so high I can barely see so I'm not sure I wanna go that route.

If you can do brackish I would suggest a crab of some sort.
If you want a cichlid, a smaller SA species like the rams that were mentioned or apistso or a latacara would also work.
I am guessing you are going with the green anole (Anolis carolinensis)? That is mostly commonly available one I see. If so, I would do some sort of native fish as well like the dollar sunfish maybe. Or, one of the awesome native minnows like the golden topminnow or the bluefin killi.
Golden Topminnow From Sachs Systems Aquaculture
Bluefin Killifish for sale at Sachs Systems Aquaculture
Not necessarily from that place (seems high), but those links show the fish. :)]
Your setup looks amazing. I would really like to get one of those started someday.

Such a cool tank! I have always wanted to do one of these but that would be to complicated :) I leave it to people like you and just admire!

Sent from my iPhone

That looks great. You could do a school of Kuhli loaches as bottom dwellers if you aren't too keen on cats, cories etc as clean up crew right now. They get along with anything peaceful. They are shy for the most part but when they come out to play their antics are fun to watch. I like Dwarf Gourami as a surface dweller and then you could add a reasonably big school of something like Neon tetras or Harlequin Rasboras.

That looks great. You could do a school of Kuhli loaches as bottom dwellers if you aren't too keen on cats, cories etc as clean up crew right now. They get along with anything peaceful. They are shy for the most part but when they come out to play their antics are fun to watch. I like Dwarf Gourami as a surface dweller and then you could add a reasonably big school of something like Neon tetras or Harlequin Rasboras.

I think we have a winner! I love the little kuhli loaches! Such a "cool" little fish! May do some killies with them

Such a cool tank! I have always wanted to do one of these but that would be to complicated :) I leave it to people like you and just admire!

Sent from my iPhone

Really wasn't that difficult to make a tank like this. Basically just like a large scale diy 3d background... Foam board covered with cement!

Please describe the details: lighting, filtration, heating. Sounds interesting!

Back
Top Bottom