Suction cups and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two questions number one what can I do to keep my suction cup on my DIY filter from coming off the glass? I don't want to use magnets or silicon as the metal in magnets might be harmful to the future fish (still cycling) and then I don't want silicone as I want to be able to take the filter out if needed. My second question is will this rock thing be safe for invertebrates and fish? This is the link for the rock thing:

NatureFish
????

DIY Brackets

When I had turtles there were many instances when I needed to figure out how to suspend things. Buy some Brass Wire at the hobby shop and bend and shape them with needle nose pliers to hang off the side of the tank. Then attach whatever it is you want to attach. If you have a light hood then just notch out the plastic to accommodate the wire.
I've never really had any luck with suction cups. Whether it is the thermometer or heater sooner or later they just give up.
Good Luck!

Thank you! I thought about putting slate on all the sides of it including the top so it can't float away. Is slate fish safe? I've seen aquascapes with it before so I think it is.

NatureFish
????

Ive used slate many times over the years in everything from cichlid tanks to reefers. Just give it a good cleaning and keep an eye out for the sharp edges. You can use a grinder to smooth out the sharp edges but make sure you wash off the dust and small chips really well. I've never encased a filter w it though. Make sure the slate doesnt impede the flow to the filter too much. I like the idea.

I have found that suckers harden after a year or two and need replacing. However, before using a sucker ensure the sucker and the glass is clean and free of algae. I have quite a job getting mine off the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've heard boiling suction cups will help extend their life but I read that on the Internet, so....

Slate does lend itself well in the overall look of a natural environment but I've always found that slate creates areas that are conducive to nasty stuff build up and snail reproduction habitats requiring frequent cleaning. Do you have a photo of your DIY Filter?

Yes I do have a photo! How come the snails like slate? That's actually not a bad thing since I plan on getting some snails for breeding as well as aiding in algae cleanup.

NatureFish
????

Snails like slate because it's relatively flat. Algae grows well on it and its a good place to lay their eggs. Snails do eat algae. But at a slow rate. They may not be enough controle for your entire tank. Vague explanation but I hope it helps.

According to the Internet, MTS get a bad rep but are actually good? I always thought they were pests? They reproduce quickly so I thought those would be good to breed but then practically everyone hates them so there's not really a market for them.

NatureFish
????

Not everyone hates them. I have loads of them. But in truth, they do breed pretty quickly and can become too much. Netting them out in the evening is easy enough to control the numbers. Selling them on is not that easy though, there is not much of a market.
MTS are fabulous at turning over the substrate as they bury down in it during the day and come back out at night. My substrate is a type of black sandy 'soil' and the MTS stop it becoming compacted. They also don't damage live plants like pond snails. I don't have a single damaged leaf.
So on balance I give the thumbs up for the much maligned MTS :)

I found a solution for the filter! I figured out a way to tape the airline tubing to the glass!

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom