Sugar for diy co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadu571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm curious as to which is the better mix for DIY co2;

Water, yeast, brown sugar?
Water, yeast, white sugar and molasses?
Water, yeast, white sugar and baking soda?

Any other mixes which would be better please let me know.

Edit for clarity. :)

I think the molasses in the brown sugar might make things act funny. I have never used it myself. I only use white sugar yeast and water. I have wondered this myself though.

It's a recipe for mixing up a bottle of yeast
Producing co2. Which you can then feed into the tank to help plant growth. Cheers for the replies.

I believe they use molasses to feed the yeast in production. So I would say that's probably your best option or yeast producers would use something else.

I'm not much for fooling with all the different sugar sources. People have discussed honey, brown sugar, this, that, and the other. However you can always turn to good ole reliable white sugar and know you are going to get decent CO2 production. I know some people have used brown sugar, but I'm just a simple kinda person. I like to stick to what I know works.

If you decide to use the brown sugar, I'd love to hear how it goes for you!

I have been wanting to try some diy co2 since I cant afford the other but I was told the diy co2 would be pointless in my 20 gallon tank? Do you know if thats true?

I think it would be worth it, mines only 20 us gallon. A DIY system is quoted as being perfect for 20 gallon tanks. It's simple when you understand it too. However because I can get the refills cheep I have decided to use the fluval mini pressurised system, and because I have little free time ATM, spring and summer are busy times for gardeners!. It seems to be making a difference, so fingers crossed. If it works I'll let u know if it's worth going for over DIY.

Hi,
I've been looking into the diy co2 too and from what I've seen the most common recipe is the third one.

I have a planted 10g, I have some maybe/maybe not melon swords and just put 15-20 stems of anacharis in. Should I invest in this DIY CO2? Or do you think that it's fine the way I is?

alia258, I wouldn't worry about DIY CO2 unless you have fairly high light levels.

brunettebaby4571, I would definitely say you could use DIY effectively on tanks up to 20g or so. The biggest thing is you will be needing to do 2-3 bottles of it, so it can become more trouble than it's worth.

I really don't think anyone should worry about having DIY CO2 unless you are going to be doing a high light, fertilized tank.

Oh I have a medium light and use root tabs, but that's all ^^

Back
Top Bottom