SUMP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i would like to build a sump. What exactly will i need and how difficult in this process and please don't sugar coat it.
Also is adding a sump to an already running aquarium a bad idea?

how much are you building? the tank itself? have atank and adding baffles? If you have the time and supplies, you have a pretty good chance at making a decent product. the chances of making a functioning product are great, whether or not it looks incredible is up to your skillset. Using silicone is fairly easy but it sticks to everything so if you dont do it right the first time itll look weird, you can cut it off and try again though so no harm there. Also they sell tools to help you make better beads with silicone. adding a sump in established tank will not harm it at all unless the silicone hasnt fully cured or you didnt clean your project up properly.

A DIY sump is pretty easy to make. All you need is a tank, acrylic, and silicone. I'd recommend getting your acrylic (not plexiglass) at a plastics shop if you can. They will cut it for you as well. You can buy silicone cheap by going with GE Silicone #1 (Do not buy #2 as it has mildew resistant chemicals and will kill your fish).

This vid gives a decent how to on sump making. Good luck!

Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1 - YouTube

aquarick i believe plexiglass is acrylic, but a brand name for it just like usplasitcs, both have different versions of it as well.

The plexiglass sold in Lowes/Home Depot is not the same as acrylic. It's a lot more pliable than acrylic for the same thickness. I was pretty sure they were similar but not the same chemical make up.

i think you should look into it some more. Plexiglass is a brand name, they have several different makeups of their acrylic. same concept of rollerblades being inline skates.

Back
Top Bottom