Sump advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrayis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought a 40 gallon breeder for my first saltwater tank along with a 29 gallon for the sump. I'm going to go with the herbie method with the overflow/plumbing. I was tossing around the idea of drilling the bottom rather then the back of the tank but I think I'm going to stick with the back wall ( unless someone points out why it should be done differently ). I've seen people talking about using a over the back return but I couldn't find anywhere if this is the only way to plumb it. I'd like to drill a hole for a return, is there any reason why I should avoid doing this and go with over the back? While I have you reading this, what size pipe would you suggest? I was looking at 3/4 but have been reading a lot of people doing 1 inch. This tank will start out as fowlr for the first few months til a year when I get the hang of everything and I will then venture into corals.

Search Eahopps Overflow Boxes on Internet. I have a 40g sump with 2 overflow boxes. I also plumbers my return over the back. You should use 1" flex tubing for plumbing. I used 1" PVC cause I think it looks nicer, but it definitely restricts flow.

Back
Top Bottom