Sump Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to build my first sump...

I have a 40 Gallon Breeder with a bulkhead already in the tank (see pics below) ... I purchased a 1/2" threaded PVC and it fits, so I am farely confident that its a 1/2" bulkhead... If you look on the 1st pic, u'll see threads on the outside, I was told these are not the threads I want to use, i want to use the treads that are on the inside (and all that fits is 1/2")

My question is... is 1/2" bulkhead going to give me enough flow? or should i try to order a larger (1") bulkhead??

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

That is an open ended question.

How much flow do you want going through the sump?

If you have other methods of ciculation in the tank, a low flow through the sump can keep the system quiet and more efficient. If you're putting a fuge in the middle of the sump, you want a very slow flow.

Well I finaly figured out that I will have to rig up a 1" PVC through the glass, and not use an offical bulkhead...

So what type of flow do you think 1" should give, and whats a good generic pump to consider?

One last thing :) I was going to have my return in the middle, would it be okay if my return pump T's off and slowly fills my fuge area (that in return overflows back into the return pump?)

My other option would be to T off my drain, but I figured otherway made more sense

Should be able to get a bulkhead for 1" PVC.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.categories/ssid/327

You want your drain or return flow rate?

A 1" pipe has a gravity flow rating around 600 GPH. The return line max flow depends on how much pressure you're getting out of your pump. Most pumps have a recomended pipe size in the manual. Much lager than the recomnedation has dimminishing returns, as the weight of the water takes the place of the friction.

For a generic pump, MagDrives are nice, relatively quiet, and Petsmart.com sometimes has sales.

T-ing after the return pump is the best way I think. I do not have a compartmentalized fuge but do T to control flow to the main when needed, and this is a valuable adjustment.

dskidmore said:
Should be able to get a bulkhead for 1" PVC.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.categories/ssid/327

You want your drain or return flow rate?

A 1" pipe has a gravity flow rating around 600 GPH. The return line max flow depends on how much pressure you're getting out of your pump. Most pumps have a recomended pipe size in the manual. Much lager than the recomnedation has dimminishing returns, as the weight of the water takes the place of the friction.

The problem is those bulkheads dont mention what size hole is required... current bulkhead will only allow a 1/2" pvc which i have been told is to small.. the opening of the glass is just a sliver bigger than a 1" PVC pipe, so i think its 1 & 1/8th

And yes, I want to utilize this for a drain,

I want to put a Elbo on the inside andthen a strainer pointed upward...

Do u see this as being a problem? I have seen many petshops do it this way...

Ah, you want a bigger pipe without re-drilling a larger hole, yeah, that would cut out most bulkheads.

If you're willing to drill you could widen the hole or add a second 1/2" bulkhead. There is some risk in glass drilling, but many people report good results.

Drilling

Yah i'd rather not drill...

I'd prob purchase a hang on the back overflow device for this tank....

I plan on upgrading to a 90 gallon with built in overflows etc but that might be many moths/yrs away...

Back
Top Bottom