Sump Baffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it will hold, but it wont be super strong. unfortunately, it is probably the only option when adhering acrylic to glass. i think you can roughen the surface of the acrylic to aid the silicone in sticking to the acrylic...

~mike

So, I may be better off getting 1/4" glass cut for baffles for a new sump?

the acrylic will work, many people here have done it. im just letting you know that the acrylic-silicone bond will not be as strong as the glass-silicone bond. the baffle isnt going to spontaneously fall out after it is assembled, it just wont have the same strength bond.

make sense? :?

~mike

Yeah. Thanks.

Followup question (maybe this should be a different thread but) - the tank I'm using for my new sump I got for free. It's a 40B, but it has a very thin, but very long crack at one end between two drilled holes. I will not be using the holes, so to mend the crack and cover the holes, I planned on just throwing a piece of acrylic on the outside of the tank covering the entire side, sealing it up on the outside. Then, when hardened - sealing up the holes on the inside and running a bead up the crack.

Is there a better way? The crack is really tight and the tank will only be half full (or half empty depending on your self esteem) so I don't think it's a huge deal, especially for a free tank, but I want to make sure I seal it the best way possible.

Thanks

- Steve

Back
Top Bottom