Sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the (very early) initial planning stages of upgrading my 20 nano to a 90, and will obviously need a sump. I have a few questions on sizing and design:

1. Would my 20 be too small to serve as a sump? (It's a 20 high, not long)
  2. How many chambers are "best"? I've seen 2 and 3 chamber designs...the two chamber ones tend to just have the skimmer and return sections, separated by baffles. I'm thinking my existing 20 could handle this. Three chamber designs usually have fuges in the middle section, right? I don't know if I'd use a fuge in the beginning, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner without one...
  3. For a 90 gallon tank, is there a recommended GPH overflow rate (so I can get the appropriate return pump, taking into account head pressure)?
  4. I was thinking of doing this type of plumbing system for the overflow, but most likely drilling the back of the tank and using an overflow box...any thoughts or suggestions? Ultra quiet reef tank overflow - YouTube
Thanks in advance. This is going to be a long term project as I acquire the tank, equipment, find a place for it (which is actually what I'm doing currently), etc...

It's funny, I'm in the exact same process you are right now.

I thought about using my 20g high as a refugium but realized it would be better to have a 20g long just for work space under the tank. The tall is sub par for a sump. I would also do a 3 chambered design if you can.

I have a feeling that particular overflow design would get annoying but I'm sure it works really well.

I'm just wondering if the 20 would be enough from a volume perspective...I'm sure I could always trade the high for a long if needed.

I'm just wondering if the 20 would be enough from a volume perspective...I'm sure I could always trade the high for a long if needed.

I thought about that for quite a while myself and came to the realization that unless you go custom there aren't a whole lot of tanks that will fit under a stand that size. For example, the opening on my stand is 36"x22" A 20 long will be okay since they are 12" tall which will give me enough space to work under. I could possibly do a 30 long which is 16" tall but that really cuts my working space short. Bigger is better but you have to work with the available space.

I am thinking that I will build my own stand, unless my wife decides otherwise ;-) (I've done lots of woodworking projects in the past, and am currently doing one, which is why she tires of it...)

Are you doing a drilled or HOB overflow? I was looking at that Herbie overflow because it's low noise, and failsafe in the event the primary standpipe clogs.

The tank I got is drilled through the bottom with a corner overflow so I will end up doing a durso standpipe and will likely have a float valve as a fail safe. If I were to choose my own type of overflow I would probably end up going with the Bean animal overflow.

If you're going to build your own stand and assuming you have the extra space; you could make the stand longer and add a 18" cube tank as a display refugium for growing macro algae. That would give you a 25g tank dedicated to macro algaes and you could also have seahorses or some other stock in it that wouldn't work in your main DT

I don't know if I will have the extra space for a longer stand. I have to find a place for it that gets little, or no, direct sunlight. That's the single biggest thing that is keeping me from buying the tank right now.

Back
Top Bottom