Sump design opinions please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, building a 20 gallon long for my 40 breeder softy/LPS tank. Conceptually, this is what I've come up with (see pic). I'm thinking a 7 1/2" water line, with a Reef octo NWB110, and BRS GFO reactor in the center chamber. I'll be using an Eheim compact plus 3000 return pump. The first set of baffles, A and B, will house a filter floss tray that will be approximately 3" wide. The water will be forced under the first baffle and up and through the filter floss. Then it will get skimmed and run through the GFO reactor, followed by an over/under bubble trap to the return pump. Thoughts and suggestions?

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums...5-1369-457B-B9E5-50492D42A1FF_zpsuadcojpe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I made one using this design.

My sump is made from a 54 gallon tub (with about 30 gallons of water). The lid of the sump has two 2-foot plant lights. The trickle filter is a 3-drawer system made from a 4 drawer cart (minus the bottom drawer). The bottom of the lowest drawer is an inch below the water line (to keep the trickle noise down). The 2 lower drawers are filled with pot and bath scrubbies as the bio-media. The top drawer has the K-Mart pillow filler as floss and layers of fine and coarse filter pads. The pads and floss are separated by "egg crate" (light diffuser) and all of the drawers have "egg crate" at the very bottom. The drawers have holes made with a soldering iron, spaced about 3/4 inch apart. A drill will crack the drawers. At the mouth of the overflow pipe I have a pot scrubby to keep the noise down. In the sump I have a sand substrate, plants, Guppies, Ghost Shrimp, Algae Eaters, and crayfish. In the overflow box I have a DIY Stockman standpipe to keep the drain noise down. The drain is 1 1/4" PVC. The return is 1" nylon hose with a DIY PVC spray-bar. I had hose for the return but I found that the PVC is prettier and quieter. The tank that it filters is 55 gallons. Click on the pic below to get a view.

Back
Top Bottom