Sump Design Question (New REfuge questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i'm planning out a basic sump for my 29 gallon and i was wondering if its possible to have one go in a U/culdasac fashion instead of the standard left to right (or vice versa) fashion. I ask because for space reasons i could get a "bigger" container that way but if i plumbed it normally one of the lines would go in front of my tank show side

There is reason you couldn't set it up in that fashion. The sump is really just an open container to hide your equipment and do some filtration. You'll be fine doing it the way you described.

im thinking you forgot the "no" in front of reason theo? it won't cause any odd stress on the pump(s) to make the turn from intake side to return side?

~slight edit with new question for a HOB refugium is it possible to convert one of those "double" hob filters (like the emporor 400 minus bio-wheels) into an effective one or is it better to have the one large space like an AQ110? or slight re-edit 2 HOB filters converted vs 1 is that a waste of time or efficient?

You could use HOBs as fuges but you will have to light them for the Macro to grow and do it's job. I've not had much luck doing that because of the small volume. You are much better off doing a fuge above or below your tank.

The overflow is an absolutely essential piece of equipment. I'm not crazy about that kit b/c the skimmer is more than likely going to be less than optimal- to say the least. You can use plexi-glass for the baffles, that way you can cut them yourself. HTH

I agree, stay away from those kits if you can they are for the most part a waste of money. Mike is right use acrylic/plexi-glass from Home Depot or Lowes as your baffles...that's what I did. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom