Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

sump for 125 gallon tank, power out

hello, im setting up a marineland corner flow 125 gallon aquarium and petco 40 breeder sump (aquion). bought the sump today and need to order baffles. i need to know how many gallons of water i can expect to flow to sump when the return pump is off. i will not be using check valves, so both overflows and what ever drains from tank will need to be accounted for. the 2 inch rule of thumb says approx 11 gallons. i do not have the 125 yet, so i cant run a test. currently i am allowing for 20 gallons. this is very restrictive on my sump layout plans. was thinking about a 75 gallon sump but that would leave me with only 8 inches of clearance for maintenance access. any first hand info would be a great help.

thanks

Old 02-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm no expert and I don't even run a sump but I've done tons of research. Unless you have a HOB overflow you can easily figure out how much space you need in the sump and it's not a lot in comparison. You have it figured out and you should test your sump no matter how much space you have in it. Sumps are extremely flexible so I think you're fine just youtube sump videos, you'll be up and running in no time...

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, gallon, sump, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com