Sump or FX5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 135 I'm going to setup by the end of the summer for my RES and some sunfish and I am currently considering building a sump instead of using my FX5 (sell it). What do you think?

If you're going to worry about a sump running dry or over flowing while vacationing or business traveling then go with the fx5 to ease the mind. I've never owned one ( fx5) but all I can say is once you go sump IMO you never go back to anything else.

Sumps have my vote over anything else 110%

That's what I figured. I was thinking of going dual overflows to combat possible flooding. This way if one breaks down the other can compensate in the meantime.

The problem is my tank isn't drilled, I'm not sure if ill have it drilled or just go with overflow boxes. I know drilled is better, how much would it cost to have it drilled?

It's an older tank, the glass has a slightly green tint to it. Not sure if that means anything. Built in '85. I was planning on using my current 40B tank as the sump and transferring my planted setup to the 55 my turtle is in.

By the way, would a 55 gallon sump be overkill? I have my 40B but I like how it's planted and the deepness of the tank. Also I redid the stand so it's much nicer than my 55 setup.

Sump all the way! If power goes out I dont have any issues with overflow. Two megaflow on each side & pump at the bottom for the return. If power goes off on mines, the water returns to the sump. Power comes back on water does start flowing till the pump kicks back on. I need a new sump as I spec it out better & want two filter socks as the first stage. Trust me you will be glad you went with a sump

PS 55g for me or anything larger will never be an overkilled! You never if you are gonna get a bigger tank in the future & you are set. If you have the room...go for it cause more water vol is a plus!

Sump all the way! If power goes out I dont have any issues with overflow. Two megaflow on each side & pump at the bottom for the return. If power goes off on mines, the water returns to the sump. Power comes back on water does start flowing till the pump kicks back on. I need a new sump as I spec it out better & want two filter socks as the first stage. Trust me you will be glad you went with a sump

PS 55g for me or anything larger will never be an overkilled! You never if you are gonna get a bigger tank in the future & you are set. If you have the room...go for it cause more water vol is a plus!

Cool thanks. Yeah I'm prob not gonna go bigger than my 135 lol. I have to build the stand and custom basking platform for my RES, can't wait. Then sump time!

I said the same with my 50g, then went with a 130g. That 130g is looking small now...lol!

Back
Top Bottom