sump/ overflow advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joejeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Planning a simple sump for my cichlid tank as additional filtration... Using a rubbermade DIY method, want it to go through some mess and then bio media. That isn't my issue. What I don't get is how to get the water from tank... Do you use a pump or is it gravity fed... But how do u prime it? I know u use a pump to return but how do u intake?? I am confused.... Been googling my head off...

You can prime it in any number of ways just like a siphon when cleaning. You had commented on my build, I have some pictures of my overflow there. If you go the PVC route, you have an up pipe used for priming. You fill it with water and then you pull out the air at the top vent tubes with check valves attached. You'll also see in my build where I added a CPR pump as a back up in the off chance the overflow fails after a long power outage or something.

Here was my first test this summer when learning all this. I went with this crazy dual pipe system because after reading up, you got a faster rate through a smaller pipe but less volume per hour. A fast rate of flow reduces the amount of possible air build up or syphon break. But to get more volume you just double the setup. I don't know if I would do it again this way, at least not the same type of overflow box anyway.

There are TONs of overflow threads here and on YouTube. Check out some of the related videos on this page.

mrbee2828 said:
Here was my first test this summer when learning all this. I went with this crazy dual pipe system because after reading up, you got a faster rate through a smaller pipe but less volume per hour. A fast rate of flow reduces the amount of possible air build up or syphon break. But to get more volume you just double the setup. I don't know if I would do it again this way, at least not the same type of overflow box anyway.

There are TONs of overflow threads here and on YouTube. Check out some of the related videos on this page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbpLEkJsRs[/URLQUOTE]
Thanks man. I really enjoyed ur build. Where do u get ur pumps... They seem to be pretty pricey... Any cheap pumps you know of... I really want to do this just to see if I can make a system that does some serious wrk on my own...

Back
Top Bottom