Sump pump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I'm going to build a PVC overflow and sump for my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I will be using a 20 gallon tank for the sump. How big (gph) does the pump need to be for this? I will have a ball valve in place to control flow.

Also, if I understand this correctly, I can move my powerfilter and heater to the sump. Is that correct? My filter is a Whisper 5 "hang on the back" style. Will this work?

Finally, with a freshwater sump, is there really a need for compartments in the sump? I may build a DIY wet dry eventually but even then I don't see the benefit in multiple compartments in the sump.

Link to DIY wet dry filter I found.
http://dramaticaquascapes.com/doityourself2.html

Thank in advance.

Hey guys. I'm going to build a PVC overflow and sump for my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I will be using a 20 gallon tank for the sump. How big (gph) does the pump need to be for this? I will have a ball valve in place to control flow.

Also, if I understand this correctly, I can move my powerfilter and heater to the sump. Is that correct? My filter is a Whisper 5 "hang on the back" style. Will this work?

I always base my pump selection on how much flow the overflow can handle.

As far as the media I use a prefilter tray, biomedia(like bioballs or pot scrubbies), and a coarse foam block and that's it. Below is the AquaPro sumps I use on my three tanks, I can't hide heaters in mine due to the size I choose.

Attachments

• ap200%20copy.jpg
    ap200%20copy.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,846
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. To start, I'm concerned with whether you can put the filter on the sump tank and the heater just to add water volume and get stuff off of the tank. I also thought about adding a piece of egg crate to fit the bottom to give some extra area for bacteria to build up. I'd probably set some plants up with a light as well. I have a 20 gallon tank already that I can use for the sump.

The wet/dry may come in the near future. For now is there really enough benefit to do this? From my research it seems yes but I would like opinions from you guys.

Yes you can add a HOB and a heater in your sump I just don't have room and my heaters are in my overflows, I'm really surprised more people don't use sumps for their freshwater tanks.

Yes you can add a HOB and a heater in your sump I just don't have room and my heaters are in my overflows, I'm really surprised more people don't use sumps for their freshwater tanks.

That is what I wanted to hear! The benefit seems huge to me. I really appreciate the input and welcome any other thoughts on it.

What do you think of the little DIY wet/dry in the link I posted? It seems pretty simple and effective. Not to mention a lot cheaper for those of us that are a bit stapped. :)

That one is pretty neat. I don't think it would fit in a 20 gallon tank. Those 7.5 quart containers the other guy uses are about the size of a third of a 20 gallon tank - just about perfect.

Back
Top Bottom