Sump/Ref run issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright so I hooked up my sump a few days ago and I can't get rid of the micro bubbles.

I have an overflow box with a clear flex tube as the intake it then goes into one side that overflows into a smaller baffle filled with sponges than it goes into the ref part which fills into the return pump section.

I am using a mag 7 pump for the return it is fitted to a clear tube that feeds into a hard PVC pipe with a valve before the first 90 degree bend. I barely have it open and I still have quite a few micro bubbles and I am unsure how to fix it. I have adjusted it multiple times playing around with the overflow box as well as the ball valve on the return.

Any tips or help?

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 67
I also wanted to note that when I jack up the throughput of the mag 7 pump that is when i start to see lots of air bubbles start filling the pipe.

I looked for leaks and such but couldn't find where air was entering at a faster speed opposed to a lower one. I am wondering if I should try and get a new pump a little less powerful to match the intake better.

My overflow box has 2 bulkheads but one is capped off but I rather not add another pipe and attach it to the existing one as there is only room for one connection in the pump box.

How does the water get from the middle section to the return section? That is where you would want a bubble trap. It doesn't appear that you have one.

Also, with that small of a return, do you have an ATO?

Micro Bubbles Solution

When I first built my sump, I had just a straight drainpipe like you.

IMG_1821.JPG

Now the baffles on the right by the drain take care of the micro bubbles. But, I was still getting a few from the crashing that were making it over the baffles or some all the way through the baffles.

Solution: Filter Sock. I bought a 200 micron filter sock and the water crashes into that instead of open water and thus eliminating almost every bubble totally.

End Result:

IMG_1866.JPG

Its located behind the protein skimmer. Works great, and keeps the bubbles from entering my skimmer, and I can filter my drain water before it rolls over my Refugium.

Cheap solution, you can find them from about $5-$7, Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom