Sump return question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up my sump. I have been reading alot and have viewed Melevsreef.com - Welcome! . That is a great site and extremely helpful. My only question involves the return line. He says to avoid overflow he drills 2 small hole in the return line about 1/2 in down from the water line to use as a siphon break. I have also been reading about others who have added Check Valves in the return line to also solve this issue. Any advice between the 2 methods? What do most people do? Drilling 2 holes is easier and less expensive than buying check valves and actually having to do the plumbing. Is it as effective though? Thanks!

My returns are between 1" and 2: below the water level of the tank. No need to drill any holes in the retrun lines as the siphon breaks naturally as the water level falls.

I drilled my returns as you described. Works perfect. Just need to determine how much flow back your sump can handle and drill appropriately.

GL!

If you have a small sump that can't handle that much water flowing back from the return pump then I suggest drilling the holes. A check valve can fail and you will end up with a flood. Make sure to check those holes every once in a while they can get clogged. When I do a water change on my tank I take a tooth pick and clean them out. I have mine above the water level so I have an instant siphon break.

Ziggy, If you have yours above the water line, isn't water pushed through the holes back into the overflow instead of the tank? I am just wondering about the efficiency and gph circulating.

It's a 1/8 hole...there is only a tiny amount of water coming out of that hole...I have 2 return pumps on my system total of about 1100gph so I'm not worried about that tiny bit of water. I am much more concerned with a power outage and flooding my basement.

Oh and the water coming from those holes goes into my tank not the overflow. I don't have an internal overflow.

I don't have holes drilled and get floods ALL THE TIME!!! It's a pain, lol. I know how to prevent it, I just need to lift my spray bar up out of the water to break the siphone but sometimes I try to cut corners and just "be fast!" It's never much water and only ever happens when my sump is particularly full, so I just deal.

I began setting things up this weekend to do a test on the system. I was just going to go with the drilled hole, but as I set up the return piping, I didn't like the way the plumbing was in the sump, so I decided to try my luck at PVC pipes and fittings. It was surprisingly easy. With that, I added a checkvalve and I am happy to report that all it works fine. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom