t5 fixture ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistermismatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
havent looked into numbers or wattages or anything. just had a random idea to make another t5 fixture. i currently have a 2 bulb 48" t5 strip over my 55 and was wondering if i could hack up a 24 inch strip and extend it for 48 inch bulbs???? that way i would have 2 fixtures with 4 bulbs total. possible or no go??????

I don't think ballasts intended for 24" fluorescent bulbs would handle 48" bulbs. I know the Hagen GLO T5HO ballasts will handle either a 24" or 36" bulb, but not a 48" bulb.

What's the reason for the extra light? A shop light will work great for plants.

I don't think ballasts intended for 24" fluorescent bulbs would handle 48" bulbs. I know the Hagen GLO T5HO ballasts will handle either a 24" or 36" bulb, but not a 48" bulb.

What's the reason for the extra light? A shop light will work great for plants.

its actually a sw reef tank. my corals are doing great and staying healthy with good color but ive never witnessed any reproduction of any of them in the year and a half. not even the mushrooms or polyps

Not sure where you are located, but where i live we have a home improvement store called Rona. They sell a t5 48" fixture for around 60 dollars. I bought one, attached a Hagen reflector to it and use T5HO bulbs with it. I have Been running this fixture for over 8 months and have had no problems at all.

Hey if your looking to grow plant you can get a ge t8 ballast from home depot for $15 and a t8 plant light from petco for $20 and your set I just did this to my 55gallon tank works awesome

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Not sure where you are located, but where i live we have a home improvement store called Rona. They sell a t5 48" fixture for around 60 dollars. I bought one, attached a Hagen reflector to it and use T5HO bulbs with it. I have Been running this fixture for over 8 months and have had no problems at all.

That works for a reef? How many bulbs?

checked the local hardware stores here and i cant seem to find t5 fixtures anywhere.

Hey if your looking to grow plant you can get a ge t8 ballast from home depot for $15 and a t8 plant light from petco for $20 and your set I just did this to my 55gallon tank works awesome

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

plants??? im talking bout a reef tank. :D

It's 2 bulbs and T5HO 54w per bulb. IF you can use T5HO and it gives enough light. I actually have 2 fixtures on one of my 55 gal tanks and there is room to put another fixture if i wanted.

the manufacturer of my fixtures is Lithonia Lighting.

what corals are you keeping katorin?

mistermismatch- what corals are you intending to keep in your tank? some corals will be ok under the lighting you propose, but others will not.

Actually the tank with this fixture is a fresh water planted with a CO2 system. Low light corals would do well with this type of setup and as i have stated, you should be able to fit 3 fixtures on a 55 gal tank which would be about 324w/gal.

Back
Top Bottom