Tank Hood/Stand Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid_Pyro

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been searching the forum for hours and constantly staring at my own tank, and have decided I need a show stand and hood for it. However I am stuck for inspiration so thats where you come in...

I am looking for pics of your own stands, or random pictures from the web, advice, ideas, things you would like to see or would have done differently on your own stands and or hoods.

Once I have my idea sketched out I would gladly post my pics along the way.

Just so you know I have a 48" x 12.5" x 21" high tank with two over hanging filters, I could switch to a canister filter if need be but didn't want to go to that expense if I didn't have too. Plus I dont really know the difference other than one hangs on the back while the other is under the tank.

What really got me going about doing this was seeing some of the blue LED tanks at night, I thought a tall hood would be perfect to have a couple LED hidden up there aimed down, spot lighting certain parts of the tank, with everything on timers so the night lights shut off when the day lights kick in...

I included a few pictures of tanks I have found so far for inspiration

Attachments

• 80-custom-deluxe-combined.jpg
    80-custom-deluxe-combined.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 155
How much space have you got? Is it against a wall or freestanding. If you add the high lid you can incorporate some awesome lighting. I like the more clean stands like those on the RedSea tanks - they are very slick and seamless. Maybe you can use one of them for a stand?

That is still undecided really...as of right now though I am going to assume its going to be against the wall,

and yes I would like to do some cool lighting for sure, although I dont know what yet either, still kinda a noob, I like the idea of the blue LED's for the night though.

Some inspirational pictures would be great though, either of your tanks or others from web sites w/e!

Heres some pictures of the DIY stand and canopy im building HTH
This I built in 1 day although i do alot of DIY projects i still have to paint and put the doors on.

Attachments

• Stand and Canopy 001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Stand and Canopy 001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Stand and Canopy 003.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Stand and Canopy 005.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 005.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 124
  • Stand and Canopy 007.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 007.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 105
COOL - I like it. Did it really just take a day? Impressive. This will probably take me a month:mad:

How big is it and how much did it cost?

How much do you think someone will charge to make something similar?

It costed me around $200 or so and about 11 hours to complete. Its for a 125gallon tank 6' long! Where do you live at?

thats not bad at all, for something that looks better than most store bought stands that r more expensive

Store bought stands are very cheaply made. That is my cost in material is $200 that dont include someone building it for you.

I agree. Looks way better than those bland ones you get at the stores. That's abig tank and I think it will be quite spectacular. Very good price, but it probably still needs to add filters, lights and the works - even after that it will be cheaper than even a 60 gallon kit (which is what I've got)

Well i have all the lights and everything mostly for the tank just need to get heaters and a few pumps...Once the stand is done its setup time just got the coat of primer on there last night

Thats awesome...I cant wait to get this thing going too!! Then I cant wait for my convicts to get bigger so I can have some babies to watch in the big tank!! its as good as TV

It took me a whole weekend to build mine, but I only have about $80 into it.
I really didnt look around at plans first, the idea just popped into my head so I went and got the lumber and started building.
Mines a 120gal 6' long also.
I love the night lights also

Attachments

• 100_2388.jpg
    100_2388.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_2387.jpg
    100_2387.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_2258.jpg
    100_2258.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_2547.jpg
    100_2547.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 100
what did you use for the night/moon lights? I was kinda looking at the LEDs as they act more like a spot light and can highlight certain parts of the tank, but not having seen any type of night lighting setup I wouldn't know which one I prefered...

That's an amazing tank!!!

Just love the lights. Well done dude.:eek2:

here is a few pics of the stand that i built... took about a week to build . alot of work but very rewarding..hope they give you a few ideas... if you need more details of the construction check out my album....

Attachments

• 100_2204.jpg
    100_2204.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_2228.jpg
    100_2228.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_2248.jpg
    100_2248.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_2289.jpg
    100_2289.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 67
COOL! that looks really professional...and big.

Certainly has the wow factor.:eek2:

I found these guys online custom aquarium gallery in Edmonton Alberta Canada - they build custom tanks mostly for public buildings like libraries and shopping malls. It's a great place to get some ideas. They build custom tanks for private clients, but they are based in Canada.

Worth a snoop to "steal" some ideas

Well I am from Canada...lol...but yes thank you very much for the link!

and I am not stealing per say, just looking for inspiration...

Back
Top Bottom