Tank load advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kodz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, Im new to this site and the hobby in general. Iam wondering if my floor can support my aquarium. It's a 75 gallon 4 foot long with wood stand that has a solid base. My concern( after I have already filled it) (stupid me) is that the only reasonable place to place the aquarium is running parrallel with the floor joists in the centre of the room. It is against an outside wall, but about 6 inches away to allow for plumbing. The joists are 2x8 @ 16" OC. The span they cross is 12'. The house is older, but in decent shape. Only one hole drilled through joist the tank is on. There was already sag in the joist from previous times( I dot know when , previous owners) as evident by the shims placed between joist and subfloor, and additional blocking to conceal the gap. Is it safe there, or should I drain and reposition or support the joist somehow. The sag is considerable and not something I noticed till I put tank and everything there, only then did I go down to inspect. That's when I noticed the shims and sag. Like I said, there must have been sag before, but I just never noticed it. What should I do? I can take pictures if that will help. Thanks

You should have no problem. Normal construction should hold twice that size with no problem. I once put a 240 gallon in a house that was inexpensively built and the only problem was it bounce a bit when you walked by.

Back
Top Bottom