Tank Mat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WisChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up my Aqueon 26 Bow Front tank on a nice oak desk. Thinking about using some sort of mat under the tank to protect the wood, and also level out any minor variations in the desk top. It is very level, but the tank does wobble a little a tiny bit diagonally in one corner when I push on it (empty).

So I am considering 1/8" cork sheeting, or maybe a yoga mat cut to size:confused:

There is a commercially available "Mr. Aqua" mat that is intended for frameless tanks, but may work for me:
Mr. Aqua Hybrid Foam Aquarium Mat

Just wondering if others have tried something like this?
:thanks:

Tank Underlayment

86 views and not a single response:confused:
I ended up getting a 3/16" yoga mat (manufactured by Bean Products, phthalate-free, non-toxic) off of Amazon for $15, and Bingo, no wobble:dance:
I think this is the ticket, as cork can wick water & may degrade over time.

Did you put it under the entire tank or just a corner to stop the wobble?

Did you put it under the entire tank or just a corner to stop the wobble?

Tangs27, I cut it to size and put it under the entire tank. It's thinner than the gap between the glass bottom and frame, so it's just what I'd hoped for:band:

That's awesome. I had heard of people doing this but I didn't expect it to work. Do you know what caused the tank to wobble in the first place?

That's awesome. I had heard of people doing this but I didn't expect it to work. Do you know what caused the tank to wobble in the first place?

I put my tank on this cool Amish Oak desk. I leveled it perfectly, but wood being a natural product, is not perfect. Slight dip/rise in one spot, of course right where I wanted to put the tank. Moved tank to a different position, and no wobble, so definitely the wood top, not the tank. I didn't want to stress part of the tank and increase the chance of an issue. Probably over-engineering, but the yoga mat did the trick. I will now do this under any tank I set up (y)

I like the yoga mat. For anyone else looking for a cheap one, keep your eyes open at Goodwill or Savers or such. I've seen brand new mats in the wrapper for like $2.99 all over the place.

Styrofoam cut to the size of the tank is really good

From the description for the Mr. Aqua mat;

Uneven surfaces can add unnecessary stress to the aquarium bottom panel or walls. By having a proper, solid, and leveled stand – you can decrease the stress pressures thus increasing the integrity and longevity of the aquarium. All aquariums will flex to a degree and are designed to do so from manufacturing specifications. As aquarium keepers – we would want our investment to last. It is the utmost importance to make certain your aquarium stand is precisely even and leveled. ....

Please do not use Styrofoam or any open cell foam as it has the tendency to crush and not regain (rebound) its shape. This does not offer much support or leveling attributes. Rather over time as it crushes, it can create pressure points and uneven areas which may increase the risks of catastrophic failure on the aquarium.

The yoga mat is actually a very good idea, won't compress much, typically water proof as well

What about those mats that go in cabinets to keep plates and dishes from sliding? They are patterned with open areas and should grab very well to both the tank and cabinet. They are low profile also keep areas rugs from sliding on hard wood floors

Back
Top Bottom