Tank-safe paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi folks,

So I would like to add some PVC "Caves" to my tank, but I would rather not have that bright white chunk of PVC visible. Does anyone have suggestions on brands/types of paints that would be tank/fish/invert safe?

Thanks!!

I hear Krylon fusion is good. I've personally used rustoleum regular plastic paint too without issues. Either way, once you paint it let it outgas for a few days before putting it in the water and I think you'll be good.

what i do is smear silicone on the pvc, then i take the same color gravel and pack it on so it sticks, you can i usually do this to 1 side at a time, after ive packed it enough i shake it off let the extra fall off then put sand in as "grout" looks really good and you can also glue fake plants to it if you want.. just an idea

or i second the krylon fusion.. its supposed to bond to plastic.. i dont know what effects a pleco feeding on this would have to it?

good idea on the silicone. Would any home depot clear silicone work, or are there brands/ingredients that I should steer clear on?

I mean, do we have confirmed useage of the Krylon fusion as safe? That sounds like a good bet, just nervous as I have already had enough problems getting this tank up and running ;P

thanks!!

For silicone, you'd want to use GE Silicone Type I (NOT type II). Basically ensure that the silicone does not have any mildew resistant qualities is the key (poison).

Yes, krylon fusion has confirmed usage, and as I said I've personally used rustoleum plastic paint.

i feel you.. i have a brand new can of fusion in black i still havent used, so personaly cant tell you it will but i have searched many a times and read plenty of articles and questions on other forums with regards to paint. im interested in one day soon making a backround for my 125g and everyone seems to say fusion or epoxy as far as painting..

as for the silicone steer clear of anything that has any kind of anti mildew agents.. look for GE I and not GE 2 when looking at the silicone, steer away from the kitchen and bath silicone. you should be able to get safe silicone in black,brown,white,clear

Thanks all! Great info. I'll post pictures if it turns out worth looking at!

Back
Top Bottom