Thinking about a refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabs2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've had big problems with hair algae and other algae. I have been doing some research and a refugium looks like a good idea. below is a diagram on the set up i am thinking of.
Any comments of advice will be greatly a
ppreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• tank setup.jpg
    tank setup.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 103
Stop thinking, start doing! :) Jokes aside, refugiums are great. If you have marco algae in there they provide extra nutriet export reducing levels of nitrate and phosphates (which is what you want to do since you are obviously having problems considering your algae problem, just remember to remove some algae off the glass or rocks so there is some in the water for your marco algae to absorb because at the moment its likely that it is all being used by the algae you have in your tank) and it gives critters like pods and other good things to grow and live in a predator fre environment. :)

On the actual plumbing, I have no idea! Sorry. I'm a critter and some tech stuff guy. :)

A basic refugium is great, and they are surprisingly easy to install. Do you want to house any additional equipment in there? This is a diagram for a really basic sump/refugium design. You can move that right baffle over some depending on whether or not you need room for equipment. Post or PM me if you have any specific concerns about what anything is for the design.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 85
A basic refugium is great, and they are surprisingly easy to install. Do you want to house any additional equipment in there? This is a diagram for a really basic sump/refugium design. You can move that right baffle over some depending on whether or not you need room for equipment. Post or PM me if you have any specific concerns about what anything is for the design.

Hi,
I wouldn't mind puting my heaters in and also it will give me space for a skimmer, I only have 50 litre nano so space is a little tight in it. So in the first compartment i would have the pipe from the tank and a skimmer? (or can it go into the last compartment), the middle one will house my refugium and the last compartment would house my heaters. Would I need a light or could i use natural light (trying to keep electricity bill as low as possible, i'm a student).
Also, would recommened a syphone or a pump to pump water from the DT to refugium?

thanks

have a look at my albums,new tank setup,It should give you an idea.Also put your skimmer in the first section,live sand and chaetomorpha in the second and heaters and return pump in the last.Are you going to be using an overflow box if so make sure you leave enough room for excess water from your dislay tank if you have a power cut,i reccommend the eshopps overflow.
If you use any macro algae you wil need a small light,13w or so.I use a UV reptile screw in florescent on mine.you will be amazed with the transformation of your water quality and algae problems within 2 months

Back
Top Bottom