threaded pvc question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peeley

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a newbie question that hopefully has an easy answer. I heard on this board that it was nigh impossible to hand tighten threaded pvc that was 1+". I have 3/4" pvc and i still cant close the gap... I have teflon tape, maybe im using it wrong (wrapped it once around the male threads)? Is there a trick? Can I trim off the end?

When I use threaded pvc, I apply the teflon tape liberally, not just once around. More on the order of 5 or 6 times around. Then hand tighten, haven't had a leak yet.

yup - don't be stingy with the tape!

it really helps the two fittings thread together ... and make sure you put the tape on the direction of the thread ... that is, put the tape on the same way the pieces thread together, so the tape is not trying to unwind as you tighten

alright I've got it wound around there a few times now, but i still can't tighten it all the way, which is necessary since im making a bulkhead out of this ( i should have said that...). Any more suggestions? do i need to get a wrench?

OK...you're probably using the white water fittings...right? What I have found works best for bulkheads is the gray conduit fittings. They don't thread together quite as tightly...sometimes they are even too loose. In that case, you can mix the white and gray fittings. Use plenty of teflon tape...5-6 rounds as suggested above. That should solve the problem.

Hey problem solved, i glued another piece of acrylic on to make it thicker so it wouldnt have to close so tight.
Thanks for the help!

problem solved!

I had thought of that solution as well, for using 1.5" pvc fittings as a "bulkhead" - since I could not screw them together very far, I thought just make the gap thicker.

let me know how it works in water testing.

Back
Top Bottom