Under aquarium lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbruha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am refinishing a 150 gallon acrylic tank and stand to replace the 55 gallon glass tank I have now. It will be a freshwater tank with a few fancy goldfish. It occurred to me that it might look neat to cut some round holes on the top of the aquarium stand, mount some led bulbs underneath, and in the aquarium I could put some glass globes over area the light would shine up (so the rocks wouldn't cover it) that would let the light in, but also diffuse it so it wouldn't be a shocking beam of light. I have googled and googled and don't seem to see under-tank lighting done anywhere. I'm wondering if that's because it's a bad idea for some reason unknown to me? I want to make sure my fish get the right amount of light so they aren't stressed (I always keep lights on a timer) but it just sounds like it would look amazing aesthetically. Any ideas/thoughts?

This sounds like a neat idea. I have seen something like this done in pet stores, mostly with bare bottom tanks. I think this was to reduce the cost of lighting the tanks. Not really for aesthetics as in your case.
Not sure if this would have any negative effects on the fish. I do notice that fish will often orient themselves according to the angle of light entering the tank. For instance, light coming into the tank from a window at a particular angle...the fish will tilt themselves to match that angle. As to them actually swimming upside down? Doubt it.
Go for it.

Worse case scenario if it looks like it's affecting them adversely, I could always add lighting to the cover to even it out. Awesome - I think I'll give it a try!

I think it would be a neat idea, but only if it were secondary or accent lighting.
If the only light you have s coming from underneath, the Goldfish will only be lit from underneath, leaving most of her color in shadow. It would be kinda like back lighting in photography...except bottom lighting..thats why I would only suggest using them as accent lighting.

Completely agree - as large as the tank is I'm not sure it would be enough light to just shine from the bottom - plus as I'm looking at the tank - I can't practically install lights across the whole bottom (because they would be visible and ugly on the sides). So I will plan on top lighting, with these as accent lights below. Might considering colored lighting since they will just be for accent.

The Glowbed is designed to light aquariums entirely from underneath. It's worth a look if you're still interested.

Back
Top Bottom