Under substrate jets input please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thisisalexcee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have experience with the maxi jet 1200 & a setup similar to mine? 4 jets for circulation. My questions are about the sizes of all the pipes / hoses & connectors. I used 1/4 in PVC & some 1/4 inch hose to attach to the pump. Need any help as far as back pressure & effectiveness of the 4 jets on a closed loop system. The pump connection is a size smaller than 1/4 inch to a tee connector that then opens up to 1/4 tube to 1/4 inch PVC. Will that improve flow or hinder flow with the increasing pipe size from pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 133
Those systems are a relic in fishkeeping from a long time ago. It's not surprising that people don't really have any input on it.

Just looking at your setup I would switch the 90 degree elbows with 45 degree ones. They will give you better circulation throughout the tank rather than just at the bottom.

As for the effectiveness of the pump... *shrug* you will just have to see how it performs once it's in the tank. I would suggest a lengthy test run before putting substrate in :)

Ya under gravel filters are garbage & from the 90's but I'm near certain there isn't any other way to keep debris from settling on the sand other than a under substrate jet system...unless they invented another DIY way to do the same thing please attach a link so I can check it out

Is this for a freshwater or salt water tank?

In salt water the flow can be increased enough to keep debris from settling on the substrate. It's a little more difficult in fresh though.

It's a freshwater cichlid tank. Rather then multiple pumps bulking up in a 55g. I want to get the jet system in place with correct pressure flowing so an and all debris on every square inch of the substrate is thrust up into 1 of 3 filters rather than having to worry about removing all my rock and vaccuuming frequently

I have 2 HOB filters on my very heavily stocked cichlid tank and combining those with my rock placement there isn't a single speck of debris on the sand and I haven't vacuumed the sand or rocks in months.

I have two separate rock piles with my HOB filters setting right over them. The water flows in front of the rocks pushing all the detritus to the back where it gets sucked up by the filters.

Maybe I'll try that out & see how it goes with just using the powerhead for circulation rather that a pump.

Thats cool. Are you fully covering those outlets with sand?

Would have been nice to setup my small fish tank like this. My current fish poops bricks. I need a roving cleaner like you can get for pools scaled down.

Back
Top Bottom