Unique DIY Hood and lighting/moonlighting - and prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well next weekend I will have my hood finsihed, but I thought I would tell you some of the interesting stuff about it. This is for a 45G tall, and I've wanted moonlights on it pretty bad. I gave as a present to my friend for his 80 G tank, a 12 inch CC tube with a 9V AC/DC adapter, and it looked great. He is helping me build the canopy. But anyway, Under the canopy I am putting a 65 watt (6500K) Lights of America set up, which will give me 1.444 watts per gallon (enough for Java Ferns). I was looking on ebay for a fan and a 4'' cc tube when I saw somwthing that piqued my interest. It was a Cold cathode fan! I needed a blowhole for the canopy on top of the lighting to cool it (make the life last a lot longer). There is in the fan a circular cc tube which I thought was really cool and would be perfect for my canopy. On top of that... there will be light hitting the ceiling, so I thought of putting a fan grill depicting a fish, which would show as a desinged light on the ceiling!

I do have one problem though that I didn't think of till AFTER I bought the fan... hopefully there is a way around it. Basically the fan is to be running 24/7 or when the LoA bulb is on, but the cc tube within the fan should only be on during the night. There are two seperate power wires running to both units of the fan (both the actual motor of the fan and the cc tube which has an inverter). Is there anyway to have them go off when they should, or should I just leave both on 24/7, as some of the other memebers here do? The only thing I could think of was if there was a way to split the wires of the ac adapter to power both things (the fan and the cc tube) seperatley. If not then the only thing left to do would be to sepratley get two ac adapters for wach part of the fan (the motor and cc tube). Any thoughts? Thanks!

i just new to marine stuff and want to put a moonlighter in my set up what are you using to power the cold cathode tube i was in the local electrical store and they said that cc tubes are really heavy on power but after a search on ebay some of the pc cc tubes only use 1.5 watts plz any advice on this
cheers

Back
Top Bottom