Use my MAGNUM 350 as a gravel vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I came up with a use for my extra magnum filter. I use it as a vravel vac. You know when you are doing normal vaccuming you are emptying buckets and buckets of waste water. It is a real pain, because when you get underway, it is tome to stop and empty the bucket. In my system, I have a wet/dey filter (1) with a sponge prefilter, a carbon pad of dense mesh and diatom removal resin. I also use 2 ocean clear canisters, connected to a UV sterilizer and finally, a trickle through indian Almond Leaves and Peat before returning to the tank. The tank is heavily planted and has 22 Discus, 14 Cardinal Tetras and 4 green coreys. The issue this the 135 gallon tank has been the pain and time required for vaccuming. I have the traditional vacuum tube and hose like everyone else. I connected this to the input of my Magnum 350 which I filled with charcoal as well as 2 filter sleeves. I used a ball valve to control input flow and went to work. The discharge of the Magnum went back into the overflow chambers where it recycled through step 1 above. This way I didn't have buckets and buckets of water to empty. I never had to shut down any pumps, heaters or air. All the trash went into the Magnum, and clean water came out. I do this once a month along with my 25% water changes. Once I use the Magnum, I backflush it bu taking a 5 gallon bucket and filling it with hot water. I run the Magnum as normal, but it is drawing from a 5 gallon bucket which I keep filling with warm / hot tap water for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, I remove the filter sleeves and toss them in the washing machine. I use the carbon 4 times, then I throw it away. This allows my carbon to last 4 months because I use it once per month. I always preflush the Magnum with hot water and a few drps of formalin 37% to make sure there are no anaerobic organisms in the media prior to use. In the meantime, I keep the Magnum in a dark cool place to prevent algae, mold. My water polishing is taken care of with my 2 ocean clear filters, and the final stage of clarification is taken care of with my 36W U/V sterilizer. So if you happen to have an extra canister filter lying around, you can always use it as a powered gravel vacuum.. This doesn't take the place of regular water changes, but makes your water changes more effective.
D:dance:

funny you should mention it, i use the same method for my eheim canister. do you have a picture of your tank setup? i would like to see some nicely maintained discus

You are a "home boy" I grew up in Newnan, about 35 minutes south of Atlanta.
I used to work at WXIA TV on West Peachtree...downtown.
Until recently I was stationed at FT. McPherson until it shut down. I am now at CENTCOM in Tampa Fla. The only Discus sellers I know of in Atlanta is on Peachtree road..past Lenox if it is not closed due to new construction.
D

You are a "home boy" I grew up in Newnan, about 35 minutes south of Atlanta.
I used to work at WXIA TV on West Peachtree...downtown.
Until recently I was stationed at FT. McPherson until it shut down. I am now at CENTCOM in Tampa Fla. The only Discus sellers I know of in Atlanta is on Peachtree road..past Lenox if it is not closed due to new construction.
D

funny you should say that, my location on AA is labeled Atlanta, but i'm actually in Fayetteville so i know exactly where Newnan is, LOL.

do you know the name of the discus seller that you mentioned?

Try this website. The specialty store I am aware of in Atlanta was called "the fish store and more". It looks like they got out of the Discus business or moved to Chamblee. The best I can suggest is a local breeder which is at the website below.

I get my fish from a local breeder here in Tampa. He ships all over the world and Atlanta is not that far. His name is Joe Gargas at this website:
aquaresearchcenter.com.

Joe has good fish and they are pretty hearty. As long as you stay on your temps and water changes, Discus are not difficult at all. They require more attention and better filtration than other fishes which can be rather expensive in the beginning, but in the end, there are no other costs.

Discus Fish for Sale Online: Tropical Discus and Freshwater Discus Species

If you are used to discus then great! If this is your first attempt, I will be glad to help you through the process. It is not a simple one, and having a coach of sorts is a great idea. There is a Discus forum on this site that can also help you.
D

thanks for the suggestion as well as the website. i have heard of Joe through Aquabid so i know well that he's a good discus seller/breeder. this will be my first time with discus although i have had plenty of experience with other fish before. i am aware of the diet, the temperature they need, the water conditions/parameters, and filtration for these beautiful creatures. i will see what i can do in the near future about discus since i'm in the middle of moving to PTC (i'm sure you know where that is at). i have a 65gal planted tank that i've specifically setup for the discus. i also have 4 other tanks each with a special purpse.

I love Peachtree City and thought I would always retire there. My Wife (from Seattle) is in love with Tampa, so I guess we will retire here. Joe lives about 15 minutes away from me. I always hand pick my fish and he is a good and conscientious breeder. He cares about the fish and the customer. If ever I can be of assistance...just let me know.
D.

I love Peachtree City and thought I would always retire there. My Wife (from Seattle) is in love with Tampa, so I guess we will retire here. Joe lives about 15 minutes away from me. I always hand pick my fish and he is a good and conscientious breeder. He cares about the fish and the customer. If ever I can be of assistance...just let me know.
D.

i'm so jealous that you live so close to joe. i've visited his website and you know how some fish look better in person than online or in pictures, i only wish i can pick out the fish by myself. Hola at me when you do decide to come back to GA in the near future and do some fish deliveries for your home boy :brows:

My Wife's Mother and Father live in Warner Robbins, GA. They will be coming to Tampa in August. PTC to Warner Robbins is about 2 hours. You just have to cut through Griffin to get to I-75. I maybe could help you there, by getting them to transport on their way back. That way you could have same day delivery if you are willing to drive a little.

My Wife's Mother and Father live in Warner Robbins, GA. They will be coming to Tampa in August. PTC to Warner Robbins is about 2 hours. You just have to cut through Griffin to get to I-75. I maybe could help you there, by getting them to transport on their way back. That way you could have same day delivery if you are willing to drive a little.

thanks for the generous offer. i will see what i can do. i'm in the middle of moving to PTC this month (so that i'm closer to my work place, panasonic to be exact and i'm sure you know that place in PTC as well) and maybe once i settle down a little. of course i'm willing to drive, griffin and warner robins are very close compare to tampa, i can do it all day long for the fish:fish1:

plus my gf is in Macon, so i go there pretty much all the time. PM me if your in-laws are going to tampa in the near future please!

Back
Top Bottom