Vintage Metaframe Tank Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have (2) 29 gallon Metaframe tanks that my grandfather had set-up in his house 50+ years ago and I have the stands that went with them too. I would like to repair them and use them. Both tanks are in great cosmetic shape but they have leaks on the bottom. I tried the hot water trick but it didn’t work, probably because the tar has completely dried out. Does anyone have a copy of the article “Remanufacturing Metal Frame Aquariums” in the FAMA February 2007 issue? I tried buying this magazine online a while ago but it was never delivered to me for one reason or another. Could anyone email me a copy of the article or explain to me how to repair them? Thank you

You can repair the tank by sealing the interior of the seams with silicone sealer, as you would an all glass tank. I have done this with a few tanks over the years.

my grandfather had like 2 10 gallons and 1 20 gallon and a few others but eventually the glass always cracked. one day i plan on just getting all new glass and just start over and make them look new. basically what im trying to say is i didnt have luck with the orginal glass in these but if you want to reseal the leaks just scrape of the silicone with a razor blade and put new silicone on.

Back
Top Bottom