Wanting to build a stand for my 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

builtf0rdtough

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to the LFS and they can get me a custom built stand for $160. I was wondering if I could build one myself for cheaper. Also Im not sure what type of wood I should use, I was thinking white pine 2x4's for legs and braces. Not sure what to use for the face/back and two sides...or the top. Had a plan to just use 2x4's parallel for the top, super strong. Any ideas? Im sort of thinking that I wont be able to build one for less than 160.

You could I just got done with one for my 72

image-167364582.jpg

This is the one I did it it would cost some one 75 or a little more just need the tools and time but have the hardware store cut the boards

sweet deal. That looks great, thats pretty much what I had in mind for mine. what did you use for the top and sides?

Just use funiture grade plywood for top and sides. It doesnt have to be the super thick expensive stuff if u build the support frame inside out of strong 2x4 or better some 4x4 pieces like for the legs.

There are a ton of other options for side materials though. Just walk around lowes or home depot and think hit every isle.

My original plans had 2x4's going all around, like the door, even for the top..lol was gonna be one heck of a tank stand...heavy and solid. Think Ill opt for a lighter route and use the plywood siding. thanks for the ideas, really helping me figure out what Im gonna do.

You can definitely diy your own stand for less than $160. I built mine for my 125g and it cost around $60. Use some 2x4s for the frame, and then skin it how ever you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom