Warped (slightly) DIY Stand Fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, first post here...

I just finished the frame for my DIY stand for my 55gal. It is a basic 2x4 frame with the legs at the corners. The 2 2x4s that run across the front and back edge are ever so slightly bowed so they are slightly too high in one spot. Now, when I say bowed, it is ~1/16 inch or less, just enough to see light between the tank base and the stand.

What should I use to make the surface perfectly flat? Can I use the rigid pink house insulation that comes in sheets? Or should I use something else? Should i just leave it as is, and let the wood settle and flatten out when the weight of a full tank is applied to it.

Thanks, this site has been invaluable for helping me set up my first tank... hopefully this stand business wont be the downfall of my setup!

~mike

WELCOME TO AA!!!!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

I have heard of some people doing what you said with the insulation, but I am pretty stumped on this one. :wink:

i wouldn't recommend using the pink panther stuff, if/when it gets wet it will start generating odors, not to mention if anyone was is silly enough to touch it, theywill be quite itchy.

i built a stand early last yr, and 'fixed' a similar problem by using 1/2" stayrofoam, between the stand and the tank. it didn't fix the problem entirely, but made it alot less noticable.

using a planer would be the best though.

If you don't have a plane, you can always sand it down .... 1/16" isn't too much for sanding.

The rigid insulation would be fine to even out minor imperfections also, so the choice is yours.

What i did on my stand was sanding it down and kind of leveled it out wit 1/8" plywood on top.
Worked great, just make sure that your tank is nicely supported.

JProx said:
i wouldn't recommend using the pink panther stuff, if/when it gets wet it will start generating odors, not to mention if anyone was is silly enough to touch it, theywill be quite itchy.

i built a stand early last yr, and 'fixed' a similar problem by using 1/2" stayrofoam, between the stand and the tank. it didn't fix the problem entirely, but made it alot less noticable.

using a planer would be the best though.

yeah, i was talking about the rigid insulation panels.. not the loose batting fiberglass insulation :lol:

i think my end solution is going to be to use the panel insulation to ensure a nice flat surface ans shim the base of the stand as required to make it perfectly level. i would hate to sand or plane it only to see it settle and become not flat.

~mike

that's what i get for talking on the phone and reading sorry mike about the mix up.

now that i think about it, i am liking your setup, and it should do pretty well. mine is still off by 1/8 - 1/16 inch, it's almost impossible for anyone but me to notice.. but that's more motivation to make the next stand i build that much more accurate / better.

Back
Top Bottom